PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING PROBLEM IN DELL

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedewed

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
well, mine was fixed, then not charging came back, I blew again, it came back, and not the problem has returned. I'm tempted to try the carbon cleaner option. can someone tell me precisely what is safe to use for this purpose? Thanks,

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
Is this a Dell-specific issue? I have an HP that's like 4 years old, and it's a really bad laptop, every piece of hardware in it has broken, and i just spent $230 to replace the motherboard today, but I've never had a not charging issue. I never once cleaned the charger port or the cable end, and it still charges the battery fine. I was planning to get a Dell, but this thread makes me worry. :(

JanOli4

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
I don't know , this is my fourth or fifth dell, the other one's were from my emplorer. What I know that Dell uses a very simple way to determine what kind of power supply is connected. If the cords gets older, the plastic gets harder and the change that a thin wire breaks inside is rather great. And if this happens the battery won't charge and discharging batteries to the limit can causes cell to reverse polarity and then there is no other option than to discharge the battery and replace it by a new one. Be aware that new batteries often have a strange loading curve, which disappears after some charges and discharges.
And by the way regarding the price of new laptops, repairs of hardware are a waist of money, you better get a new one with guarantee.

ADelluser

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Before anyone runs out to get a new battery,
My laptop occasionally has the same problem. I know it isn't the power cords, or a busted battery.

So I took out the battery out of the machine for about a half a minute then put it back in and it was charging again.
I heard Dells have a tendency to build up static charge, maybe it could have something to do with that attribute.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you why it works for me, but it is quick and easy and it does work.

TLDR: before you buy a new battery, take the one you have out and then put it back in, it might work.

graphsmith

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
This L502X is the only computer that I've had this happen with. I couldn't get it to charge--Just maintain the current charge, dropping slowly as the power supply cord kept falling out. I tried just about everything listed here with no luck. I set the computer aside in disgust. I came back a couple of days later and the battery was completely charged and continues to charge with no problems. If I could afford it I'd get a new one and it wouldn't be a Dell. I really like this computer, but it's no good if I can't supply power to it.

Deado

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015

This is a little risky but it always works for me
while u r being shown this message remove ur battery with power from the ac cord and put it back in

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

First of Dell has this built in to conserve battery life. This prevents overcharging. First of all is you battery power % going down? When my Alienware is charged and plugged in for awhile I get that message. When I look at the battery gauge it stays at the same percentage for awhile say 85% or 75%. This is a sign that it's just doing this. Now it the battery % keeps going down something is wrong.

John Albano

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015

This actually worked for me. Thank you!

Andy71

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi, I repaired HP Compaq nc2400 when I solder new power connector on motherboard. Now laptop says: plugged in and charging. Earlier I tried change battery charging options, erased battery driver, many times restarted and nothing changed, laptop said: plugged in, not charging. One of connections to pcb of connector was broken and I think does not provide enough current to charge battery an computer did not recognize charger, as it happens, when connect some non original chargers.

Killtrocity

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
I know it is an old question, but I just encoutered a similar problem and solved it, so here goes my solution for reference.
The laptop: Dell 5520
Problem: Only charging battery when laptop was off, started over night and day of work, came home turn it on to discover it was not charging unless it was off

Solution: Just turn Dell Desktop Mode off, apply changes, turn on again if you wish.

I dont know the whys, I have this pc for more than 3 years. I had desktop mode always on.
I have seen the problem reported with brands other than Dell, maybe they have a similar software?

Liviu55

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi guys,

As all of you I presume I googled search PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING and I can tell you that 99% of the solutions are on this page. What I found on other pages I also found on this one.

Solution

For me the solution was simple, in my house I have a power outlet that has grounding and one that does not, when I plugged the laptop in the power outlet without grounding I got the very famous message (plugged in not charging) but when I switched back to thePower outlet that has grounding the battery started to charge just like that.

Hope this works for you also

Thanks,

Liviu

vivianpalmer

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
I also have the same issue. I have a Dell LATTITUDE E5440 and was told to purchase a new charger, which did not solve the problem. The port in the lap top has the issue I believe. At times, if I stand just right, the charger will make a connection and charge. Any suggestions for a VERY non tech person to resolve this issue?

manderm

Estimable
Apr 24, 2015
This works!!!!!

Eric Hofer

Estimable
May 3, 2015
I found that the middle pin, inside the power in plug (from the ac/dc power adaptor into the pc) was bent to 1 side. Though the "power" was coming through, perhaps this pin was shorting something out or is in some way intrinsic to recharging the battery.

Kind Heart

Estimable
May 13, 2015
dear friends
i am suffering from the same problem (plugged in - not charging) and i search online for a solution and i try all suggstions without any result ..... i try to use new charger but the problem still but when i try to move the move the adopter head finelly in side the laptop hole, i note that the word " not charging " change to "charging" and i think that there is disconnection in the adopter socket

mgirl

Estimable
May 20, 2015

'
holy hell.. i thought you were pulling my leg.. I thought naw... this won't work... but it did! Thank you so much!

lavaboy

Estimable
May 26, 2015

74nn3r

Estimable
May 28, 2015

Hey what model and brand docking station do you use for your Dell XPS L502x? I'm trying to find one but can't seem to locate one?

Status
Not open for further replies.