PMA Part 3: Digital SLR Cameras

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@GillesML

"I read that as the author saying there is both VR on the lens (true) and the camera (Which I have not seen mentioned anywhere including the Nikon website)"

They may be refering to an additional scene mode that provides "digital image stabilization," a.k.a. high-ISO.

@rocharh

#3 - I figure the zoom race is the new megapixel race. It's won't be "who has the most megapixels" anymore. It's going to be "who has the most megapixels and the most zoom," both at the expense of quality. We haven't seen any drastic increases in quality since the 6-megapixel era. Almost all of the blame lies with marketing, too. If we could just stop trying to reinvent this wheel over and over again, we might actually be able to make it work well in the first place.

#5 - I find the FZ8 to be a better camera than the FZ18. A 12x optical zoom, you do have less zoom, but less distortion, and a lot better corner-to-corner sharpness throughout the full range. And the range is still plenty large.
But in fairness, both cameras have class-leading lens designs. I just don't find the extra telephoto useful. The extra wide is certainly nice, though.

#6 - I've always found Canon to provide the best noise levels. There's no entry-level SLR that can beat the XTi at ISO 800 or above. Even some prosumers can't touch it.
I've also found that, excepting the occasional Nikkor VR glass, Canon typically has the best optical stabilization systems. Sensor-shift stabilization systems like those in Olympus, Sony, and Pentax just don't work.
And Pentax has been around forever, and I think they'll be around for a long time to come. Pentax lenses are of a competing quality with Leica and (true) Zeiss, and their cameras offer an amazing amount of features and quality for their lower price tag. The only disadvantage is accessories are a little difficult to come by, but it's the same with Olympus and Sony. And we know that's not enough to stop them.

TCeleste

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Although I read the comments section whenever I write an article, I usually don't comment myself. I've already had a chance to voice my opinion, the comments section is for readers to voice their opinions. However, in this case, a correction is necessary, regarding the role of the Casio: Although it has many of the features found in an SLR (such as a CMOS censor and RAW file saving), it does not meet the full requirements of an SLR. I should have been clear about that in the article.

Tony Celeste

TCeleste

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Although I read the comments section whenever I write an article, I usually don't comment myself. I've already had a chance to voice my opinion, the comments section is for readers to voice their opinions. However, in this case, a correction is necessary, regarding the role of the Casio: Although it has many of the features found in an SLR (such as a CMOS censor and RAW file saving), it does not meet the full requirements of an SLR. I should have been clear about that in the article.

Tony Celeste

G

Tony, you are making it only worse. SLR is not defined by some excellent set of "full requirements", but A SINGLE SPECIFIC TECHNICAL SOLUTION, and it is a yes/no. If this feature is NOT present, the camera is NOT A SLR even if it has any other thinkable gizmo in the world. Please, go read something on the matter. I have been with Tom's Hardware since the Intel floating point PR war and this is an unbearable dishonour.

G

Right. There's a lot of point-and-shoots that have CMOS sensors (in fact I think most do) and there's plenty that can shoot in RAW. But there's none of them with viewfinders that work in a specific way. Which is what makes them point-and-shoots, and not SLRs.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]2. In my opinion, the most important characteristcs of a dSLR camera is the low noise on high ISO without destructive noise reduction (that means a big sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x or bigger), the interchangeable lens and the optical Trought-The-Lens (TTL) viewfinder (not electronic, please).[/citation]
The size of a sensor doesn't define noise. Pixel density and pitch are much more important. A 4MP APS-c sensor a better setup for noise control than a 22MP full-frame. In general though, you are correct - full frame sensors are usually designed to be less dense than APS-c sensors, but that's not a rule.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]
3. A bigger zoom means a lot of optical distortion. That's why prime lens (fixed focal length) have a better image quality than zoom lens. And the zoom doesn't mean anything if the focal length isn't provided: a 15-45mm lens is very different from a 80-240mm, but both lens have a 3x zoom.[/citation]
Some zooms are outperforming primes these days. That speaks more to a poor prime though.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]6. If you really want to buy a entry-level dSRL with a lens kit:
Sony has a bad high-ISO performance-[/citation]
The a100 had poor high-iso noise, but the subsequent dSLRs from Sony perform much better.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]Canon don't have the best high-ISO performance, but it have the most sharp image (low noise reduction) and a lot of good lens.[/citation]
Almost all dSLRs can be set to zero noise reduction.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]- Nikon uses the Sony sensor and have a smooth image (high noise reduction) and the body are too small, but it has the best flash metering and the very cheap 55-200mm VR lens.[/citation]
Not all Nikons have Sony sensors. Nikon's noise reduction technique at higher ISOs tends to smooth out images more than other manufacturers, however at low ISO or with NR off, the image is as sharp as anyone's. And of course, if you want consistent noise reduction regardless of manufacturer, you just shoot RAW with NR off and do it yourself later.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]- Panasonic/Samsung have the best anti-dust reduction system.[/citation]
Every comparison I've looked at shows Olympus as haveing the best dust reduction.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]- Pentax provides more features (like shake-reduction in the sensor and a weather sealed body), but we don't know about the future of this brand.[/citation]
Pentax, Olympus, Samsung and Sony have in-body anti-shake. And don't worry about Pentax's stability, they've been around for years and they're unlikely to be going anywhere after the Hoya takeover.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]2. In my opinion, the most important characteristcs of a dSLR camera is the low noise on high ISO without destructive noise reduction (that means a big sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x or bigger), the interchangeable lens and the optical Trought-The-Lens (TTL) viewfinder (not electronic, please).[/citation]
The size of a sensor doesn't define noise. Pixel density and pitch are much more important. A 4MP APS-c sensor a better setup for noise control than a 22MP full-frame. In general though, you are correct - full frame sensors are usually designed to be less dense than APS-c sensors, but that's not a rule.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]
3. A bigger zoom means a lot of optical distortion. That's why prime lens (fixed focal length) have a better image quality than zoom lens. And the zoom doesn't mean anything if the focal length isn't provided: a 15-45mm lens is very different from a 80-240mm, but both lens have a 3x zoom.[/citation]
Some zooms are outperforming primes these days. That speaks more to a poor prime though.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]6. If you really want to buy a entry-level dSRL with a lens kit:
Sony has a bad high-ISO performance-[/citation]
The a100 had poor high-iso noise, but the subsequent dSLRs from Sony perform much better.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]Canon don't have the best high-ISO performance, but it have the most sharp image (low noise reduction) and a lot of good lens.[/citation]
Almost all dSLRs can be set to zero noise reduction.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]- Nikon uses the Sony sensor and have a smooth image (high noise reduction) and the body are too small, but it has the best flash metering and the very cheap 55-200mm VR lens.[/citation]
Not all Nikons have Sony sensors. Nikon's noise reduction technique at higher ISOs tends to smooth out images more than other manufacturers, however at low ISO or with NR off, the image is as sharp as anyone's. And of course, if you want consistent noise reduction regardless of manufacturer, you just shoot RAW with NR off and do it yourself later.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]- Panasonic/Samsung have the best anti-dust reduction system.[/citation]
Every comparison I've looked at shows Olympus as haveing the best dust reduction.

[citation][nom]rocharh[/nom]- Pentax provides more features (like shake-reduction in the sensor and a weather sealed body), but we don't know about the future of this brand.[/citation]
Pentax, Olympus, Samsung and Sony have in-body anti-shake. And don't worry about Pentax's stability, they've been around for years and they're unlikely to be going anywhere after the Hoya takeover.

G

Of Course this is not an SLR camera. But to all you arrogant "limited to" SLR who think you have to have an SLR to take award winning photos are just stuck on micro technical features that 'YOU' need to take a decent exposure and must have a huge body camera so you can "look" professional.This camera has unique features 'SLR" does not have. It is a blast to experiment with. Great photo opportunities have to be recognized and present themselves when you may not have the ability to have a huge camera body with you, but if you have a quality 6-10mp point and shoot with decent optics that can fit in your pocket as an artist you still have the upper hand over the SLR talent must be bought snob.

Status
Not open for further replies.