Ashish34

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I've always wondered what the point of those $1000 portable DVD players are. They have (relatively) small screens, especially for watching movies, plus all they can do is play DVD's (and sometimes other media types). Why not just get a laptop which includes a DVD player? The screen's much bigger, plus you get computing abilities. Not to mention the price of a decent laptop with a DVD player is close to $1000. So, what is the point? Something to ponder... I'd like to see what everyone thinks of this...

~ApT~

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
I think the primary target market for those is consumers with too much money burning a hole in their pocket.

Also, some people enjoy the flexibility of having a DVD player that they can set up in their vehicle easily and then take with them when they have to go somewhere that they need something to occupy their time like the airport, doctors's office, etc. (see original statement)

One of my coworkers has a setup like this in his Tahoe. When he takes the family on the road and wants to entertain the kids, he just plugs it into the mount in his roof. A little more difficult to do that with a laptop. Didn't pay nearly $1000 for it, though. Dude has an XBox in there, too (again, see original statement)

If people will buy it, there are companies out there that are more than willing to make a profit off of it. A $300,000 Bentley will get you to the same places that a $70,000 BMW or even a Honda Accord will, but people still buy them.

War Eagle