Police: Google Maps Can Also Deliver Dangerous Directions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Google maps have never in many years lead me astray, the worst they've done is create what was IMHO a suboptimal route. I have exactly one experience with Apple Maps, I was going out to dinner with a friend, and his new iPhone5 took us to the middle of a neighborhood about 2 miles from the restaurant.

Needless to say, he has never heard the end of that one.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
This is true in countries where there are places where tourists are given the "do not go in there" warning. Think of the Fabelas in Brazil, for instance.

It would be really discriminatory for any GPS system to ban certain routes, but they could at least coordinate with local authorities to have warnings placed on. That would be really helpful, even for people from "not around".

Cheers!

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Going down a not often used road but still arriving at said destination is a HUGE difference from the problems iOS maps is causing...

But I think Zak get's paid by apple or something...

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom] I'm not trusting the GPS in the way that the Roadrunner trusts Wile E. Coyote's paintings on the side of the mountain.[/citation]

epic

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
"A Google spokesperson, however, stated that Google Maps directs drivers towards Wild Dog Road only if the driver searches for a destination located on said road. For directions to other nearby locations, meanwhile, Google Maps routes drivers onto Forrest-Apollo Bay Road/Skenes Creek Road."

Correct me if I'm wrong. But it only takes you down the road if your destination is located on it.... How again is this dangerous and or incorrect info? (roads to narrow? drive slower....) At least Google didn't miss the city by 45 miles :/.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Don't always rely on one source of mapping to find what you need, especially if you are a tourist at a far away place. Also, remember to look out for road sings.[/citation]

i use andriod maps. usually use copilot though

best to keep a proper map with you on journeys anyway.

who is stupied enough to travel to a far away place they have never been to with just a smartphone anyway. what would they do if there battery died?

people are just unprepared

better to keep multiple map programs on smart phones and keep a map in case of emergencies

fjfixer

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Sounds like it works properly. It only tells you to go there if you want to go there and otherwise directs you away from or around it. While apple maps sends you out to the middle of nowhere in a giant park to die presumably. They must keep their heads down-under in Australia because that was one of the dumbest things i have read in a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.