Police Want Backdoor Access to Private Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I'm always amazed at the miracles they pull off every week on NCIS. Track cells phones instantly, hack Federal websites with no problems, and get bank records almost before they were asked for. I guess the cops watch CBS too and want that NOW...

G

isnt what they are asking for an invasion on peoples privacy?
or in other words agaisnt the law?

and anyway this would just mean ill have 2 pc's 1 conected to the internet for email's and other for playing games with no wifi i dont liek the idea of them being able to snoop at everything we do

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
That sounds like a wonderful idea, letting police have instant access to private information without having to go through the ordinary legal processes to obtain it. Can't wait.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
with this request enabled, who is going to set up the perfect spooof ruining someones life first, with false data- because it wasn't the actual user they nab for something?

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
If they can only obtain the information after getting a proper warrant, then I see no problem with this. I believe the problem is that the various governments, within the United States, have all forgotten that they must obey the U.S. Constitution, as well as the various Federal and State laws. The "stick notes" issue is a glaring problem, but it is one that has problem been occurring for some time.

While there is no guarantee of privacy in the U.S. Constitution, the third, fourth, fifth, and ninth amendment do cover the grounds that would give people protection from unreasonable searches and seizures. The problem is, all too often, politicians and enforcement agents of the government tend to believe that if right or protection is not written in black and white, then it does not exist. Those people seem to never pay attention to the ninth amendment.

I believe it is time for the people to stand up and demand better protection from unreasonable government intrusion. The people of the United States are not the enemy.

redux fountain

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Setting up a systen in which one group of people has exclusive access to this wide a range of personal information makes that group of people the holy grail for neer-do-wellers and schemers. Let's be honest cops are not known for thier computer savvy. Not only do I not trust police with that kind of power, I don't think they would even utilize it competently.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I don't understand the fuss on this one. Not like we don't have other branches of the government that can just break all the rules at the drop of a hat in the name of security.... err wait nvm we do.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]If they can only obtain the information after getting a proper warrant, then I see no problem with this. I believe the problem is that the various governments, within the United States, have all forgotten that they must obey the U.S. Constitution, as well as the various Federal and State laws. The "stick notes" issue is a glaring problem, but it is one that has problem been occurring for some time.While there is no guarantee of privacy in the U.S. Constitution, the third, fourth, fifth, and ninth amendment do cover the grounds that would give people protection from unreasonable searches and seizures. The problem is, all too often, politicians and enforcement agents of the government tend to believe that if right or protection is not written in black and white, then it does not exist. Those people seem to never pay attention to the ninth amendment.I believe it is time for the people to stand up and demand better protection from unreasonable government intrusion. The people of the United States are not the enemy.[/citation]

Patriot Act

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Screw that. As long as we have open source things like TruCrypt and Linux our data should be quite safe, even if they manage to plan a back door on Windows.

MetzMan007

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I am a Canadain but i know most on this are american. and what ever the states does usually Canada follows along like a little puppy so.

Isn't this against your First Amendment to the United States Constitution which has your right to privacy or something like that. because if they are accessing your computer which is in your house with out a warrant is that not breaking and entering. Even if it is over a digital line. Yes i understand that internet providers are supposed to keep record of places been for like 5 year like they said. but that is still your property until a judge says they can use it for an investigation. thats like just any cop walking in to your doctor's office and telling them to hand over your medical records with out permission. it would be the same thing with internet providers if they just let them in to look at anything they want. I would also believe the FBI are on a different scale then just your down the street police station. because if your being investigated by the FBI you must have done allot more serious shit to get them pissed off at you.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Police abuse every priveledge they are given and now you expect them to not abuse this one? Have you ever tried to hold a police department responsible for their wrong doings? I have and let me tell you, the system doesnt let you. The police have a free pass at everything and nobody holds them responsible. Expecting the people not to revolt if this even gets close to a vote, would be foolish. No agency is above the law. if you hold civilians to the law, officers, city officials, elected officials should be be held to teh same standard.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
It's important that they are asking, just so they can be told NO. Any site that is setup for police only has the ability to be abused not only by the police but also by some computer hacker.
Almost all computer based evidence is and should always be considered circumstantial. Think of how many zombie networks have been setup to do mass damage unbeknown of the computer owner, but now the police think they can somehow tie that information directly to the user of the computer. Its just a lazy way to get data and if they don't have the evidence to get a warrant, then they need to keep looking and following the laws.

G

Maybe if we lived in Germany..this sort of thing should not happen in the usa though.

Status
Not open for further replies.