Police Want Backdoor Access to Private Data

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There are two types of cop. One was a bully in high school, failed to get into college, and likes the idea of being a bully with a gun. The other is the kid who got picked on in high school, didn't get into college, and wants to have a gun so they can see what it is like to be a bully.

Neither type can be trusted with unfettered access to my private information.

tamick88

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Huh, abusing privacy laws? Well then I'd say cut them off from getting the information at all and see how well they do on their own. Then maybe they'd appreciate what they have and quit whinning about the access they don't.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm sure they also want unlimited free donuts for life but it ain't gonna happen.

[citation][nom]squi-[/nom]Maybe if we lived in Germany..this sort of thing should not happen in the usa though.[/citation]

I hope you meant Nazi Germany, not current Germany.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The First Amendment is your right to privacy from Government (which includes local). However, it doesn't protect privat companies from abusing your privacy. So all it takes is a private company created by the feds to do exactly what this article says and they have just found a way to trample over your personal privacy.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I would imagine it would make it far easier for them to plant a word flag or site watch program on you or a stealth cookie of some sort to check whether you use certain words or attitudes in your contact with friends, Facebook, blogs especially as regarding to your respect (or justifiable lack thereof) of our vaunted leaders.

This would make it far easier for them to shut your internet access down, lock up your bank accounts, or generally prevent you from instigating or joining some sort of mass revolt against all of the Big Brother crap going on in DC.

Why do you think Homeland Security Secretary Janet Incompetano's staff wrote all of their notes about how their biggest fear was armed Americans (especially veterans) and not Islamist terrorists or foreign governments?

Our greatest enemy and the greatest threat to our lives, our families, our homes, and our liberty is not suicidal religious fanatics, foreign powers, some criminal thug, or some random act of nature...it is our own government.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
There is some good and bad.

I think the idea of having a police private network is a really good idea and could help expedite several processes.

HOWEVER, the 'back door' idea is terrible. Not because I believe the government is evil
(I'm not crazy or as the crazies would say or I'm an idiot for not seeing the obvious), but because a single person could stand to gain quite a lot from abusing it.

ESPECIALLY if it's an automated process that doesn't require any other authorization or have any in-place locks.
Just like anyone else a policeman could be a stalker, a murder, a thief/hacker, etc. etc.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
The police are largely too stupid to be trusted with that kind of responsibility. The fact that they suggest it is almost enough of an argument against it. The fact that they create a hackable back door to a computer and haven't considered that testifies against the intelligence of the people suggesting it. The fact that they don't consider themselves human, and capable of error also argues against it (Police abusing power)...It's almost like saying, we need a key to every home in order to go make sure sometimes, or something like that.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
And how, exactly, do they plan to make such backdoors police-only? A special code? Right. Last time I checked, there's a little thing called gaming piracy which deals with breaking codes. Not to mention someone could just write a virus to mess with the known opening.

Seems like they want to put a giant "HACK HERE --->" sign on every computer.

Oh, and the actual hackers they're targeting with this? Do you REALLY think they'd use a system with these holes? Switch computers, OS, deleting/altering the backdoor, A STANDARD FIREWALL. Seriously pointless. This wouldn't catch anyone.

Why is it that legal system seems completely and utterly inept when it comes to anything technology.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Another method for corrupt cops to get paid? Selling personal data? And what happens when hackers get into it? Because they will...

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i will move out if they do this. we don't want a police state. also do they the how much this would cost. they're crazy and want to much control. we're not supposed to fear police but they make it real easy to fear and hate them

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This power police agencies are wanting is just another stage in conservatives attempts to socially engineer society. What do I mean by this? Well, if you want to make your population so scared to step out of the conservative "moral high ground" pompousness and live a life the way you want, then you obtain the ability to find out anything about everyone instantly, without explicit permission, by implied permission. Sort of the way you have to pay insurance to drive a car, society will get to a point where governments will require you to give up all rights to privacy to use computers or the internet, by using either, you implicitly give up all rights to privacy. If you want to start classifying people into "they're like me or not" then you invade every aspect of their life and punish those that don't conform. Do we really have to live like a hermit without any or all 20th or 21st century technology to simply have some privacy?

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Climber, why would you blame conservatives for this?

Bush was an idiot but the idea of keeping an eye on ONLY those who think they get 72 virgins for melding Boeing with building isn't a bad thing.

Having the government tell us what to think, where to live, what to eat, what to drive, how high to turn the thermostat, who we have to accept in our homes and associations, and who gets to chose what our kids learn, and generally tell us we're too dumb to tie our shoes without guidance, not to mention that we owe all our money to everybody else (and if we try to fight these things we need to be watched and maybe eventually rounded up and Gaia-forbid we actually decide to arm ourselves to prevent it!!) isn't a conservative thing.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It just gets better & better! The next thing you know; the police will come around & lock you in at night. What's going to prevent them from just snooping around for personal gain?

G

Surely they want it so they protect us from "evildoers"(tm).

/sarcasm

All throughout history, giving police that kind of power and authority has never turned out well for the people of that country...

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Move towards the Dark Side, it fun.

This is from a previous post.

I usually spell canada with a K. This invokes a lot of saber rattling and chest thumping from other canadians. Let me show you why I spell canada, Kanada.

A Superior Court in Ontario, Canada has ruled that IP addresses are akin to your home address, and therefore people have no expectation of privacy when it comes to their online activities being accessed by law enforcement. This means that, in Canada, police can potentially request information from your ISP about online activities, and can do so without a warrant.

But emergency wiretaps remain highly secretive, with no requirements for police to keep records or report on their use.

In Kanada you can no longer secure water/air/mineral rights to your property.
When you buy a piece of property, you purchase only the first six inches of the soil. If a company or government finds something about your land that they want, then your only option is to GTFO or they will take you court and steal the land from you legally.

This will stir the pot.

Heil to my fellow Kanadian Comrades

Status
Not open for further replies.