Politician Blames iPad for Killing American Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
The ultra rich will be richer thanks to one such company called Apple. Other companies are like them also,but we have to start somewhere.

G

iPad is the cause of job loss? Barnes and Nobles, Borders? Closing? Well what about all the mom and pop book stores that used to exist until Barnes and Nobles, and Borders came? What about them. Fu#$k you, you idiot. Thousands of minimum wage jobs lost! Thats it. Maybe if americans weren't so fat and lazy and they got up off the couch they could create new technology that would create jobs instead of sitting back on their couch like some arm chair politician passing groundless and weak researched opinions. Knowledge pays, quit your bitching, and remember...everything that has a beginning, eventually ends. My 2 cents.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Offshore manufacturing is hurting the American jobs, but it is not unique to the iPad device. Politicians have only themselves to blame for the fact. :)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]To bad the iPad can't replace politicians... we need less of those too.[/citation] +1
I don't like either of those, but if I have to choose, I'd pick the iPads.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
So they should put a warning sticker on every iPad: "May be hazardous to your job". Who voted for this clown again? Republicans just love him.

G

Another politician should stand up and give a presentation on how much of the tax payers money Mr Jackson Jr wasted during his investigation.....

G

There is a very simple fix for this it is called tariffs if why must the American worker always suffer so that Corps can make more money tariffs solve that problem buy allowing American Manufactures to Compete no all these people screaming for free trade are the problem

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
What this moron doesn't know is that both of those companies make thier own e-readers. PLUS you can't blame the iPad alone. There are e-reader apps for plenty of phones and devices. Add to it the fact that the Amazon Kindle was released 3 years before the iPad. So, even though I'm not a big apple fan...
So, Yes,

Slap this fool!

G

it's always depressing when people correlate cost of production with sale value of a product, the price of a product is set via market research, basically what the company thinks they can get away with, if market research says that they can sell it for 800 then that's the set price, irrelevant if whether it cost 300 or 700 to make, if they cant make a decent profit, the product gets canned

the difference between production in China and USA is called the profit margin, the reason that products are made in China and not the USA is not because it would make the product more expensive, it so the company can make more profit, it is simply greed

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Advancements in technology affect jobs.... duh! How much of the industry as a whole is mechanised? Easily 10 million jobs worth world wide. Does that mean we should stop advancing technology and make things more efficient? Hell no.

Shut down the internet, postman are losing jobs!

G

Your all missing the point of this guy! He's following directly in his father's foot steps. How long before Apple starts contributing to this guy's "campaign " or "special charities ".... His father did the same thing with Coke, Budweiser and Mc Dees. It's called shakedown cabbage as stated in " On the waterfront" We'll see how many FREE iPads show up at the Chicago schools.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Advancements in technology affect jobs.... duh! How much of the industry as a whole is mechanised? Easily 10 million jobs worth world wide. Does that mean we should stop advancing technology and make things more efficient? Hell no. Shut down the internet, postman are losing jobs![/citation]

This is true. However without a new industry boom to create more jobs from the tech advancement you will actually make things worse in the end. In no way am I saying technology is a bad thing but let's skip ahead in time. Let's go to the year 4,000 AD do you see your current job existing anymore? Whatever your job or anyone who reads this may be
there is a chance that technology replaced you. Now try to imagine the common man's job in the year 4,000 AD can you do it? To be honest, I cannot. in-fact I see the reverse I see much less being done by humans. I'm not saying mass unemployment will happen in 4,000 AD I am simply saying I cannot predict any industry booms and if I could I would be extremely wealthy right now. We are not experiencing such a boom and we are long over do for one.
The internet boom was the only one and that was met with a swift crash leaving mostly only giants. This is why people are angry because the future is looking grim for the average person.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
way to read between the lines.. this goes quite wide and to the left of the statement of ipad killing american jobs, You would have to blame the internet or the content sites... last i checked, my iPad did not make and type out its own news reports.. its merely a way to access the content ALREADY out there. TV's can access, Computers, SmartPhones... So theyre all causing americans jobs? Or they are forcing lazy people to educate themselves so that they can still be relevant in todays workforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.