Pong Gets a Modern Makeover for 40th Birthday iOS App

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]pffft, who cares about Pong. Dig-Dug is where the real action's at.[/citation]

Really?

If you play any video games, you should care. Pong was one of the few early video games that became popular with a large majority of people. It also help set ( or at lease one of) the foundation(s) to all the video games that came after.

Without pong, current video games we love now might not of exist. (or they be delayed by a number of years.)

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
nintendo was way more important than pong and atari. nintendo is what brought gaming back after the video game collapse.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]nintendo was way more important than pong and atari. nintendo is what brought gaming back after the video game collapse.[/citation]

No denying that.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]nintendo was way more important than pong and atari. nintendo is what brought gaming back after the video game collapse.[/citation]

Nintendo certainly played a huge role in reviving the home console market. (Arcades back then were still very popular and profitable) They most certainly deserve credit for that.
However one could argue that Nintendo would never have become a name associated with gaming if not for the previous success before them.

Think of it as history. You cannot point out a single most important time in history because it's previous events that made your choice possible. There is no more important because every event has shaped the world into what it is today. The history of video games is no exception.

tonymus

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Many of us have a Pong system sitting in the attic or basement...

Jane, PLEASE CLEAN YOUR ATTIC!!! Why in the world would you want to play a 40 year old video game console that could set fire to your house? Do you still even have an old TV set to hook it up to anymore? And, let's face it, no one lives forever. Do you want your beneficiaries to have to pick through all the worthless junk you've got stored up there?

Thank you, nurse, I'll take my medications now...

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Happy 40th Pong! Atari was great prior to being sold to Warner Communications and then the eventual crash of 83. As for anything else, well... Nintendo was the Walmart and Apple back in the day with exclusive only titles, threats, and lawsuits. If the Amiga Game Console was released as expected things would have been different. Too bad Jack Tramiel killed two companies instead of combining Atari and Commodore. Now I wish someone would kill Apple.

john147

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I remember having a laptop with a clit mouse that had a game called Western Pong. Fuckin' adrenaline all the time, not even Smash Melee can stress me that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.