portable headphone amplifier

hammernonailz

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
i need a portable headphone amplifier for my new Beyer Dynamic DT990's 250ohm's. has anyone got any ideas. budget from low to high. best sounding please. thank you for comments in advance.

Solution
o2 will have a bit more soundstage and detail while the e12 will have more body and bass.

both are good and fairly powerful amplifiers. which one is right for you depends on what you prefer. o2 would win out on songs which sound best with lots of detail and soundstage while the e12 will win out on songs which bass impact or more fullness to the sound is better. i would say the o2 and e12 are about even and heavily compete with eachother on quality but target slightly different audiences.

if you were only going to use them at home, there are desktop amps like the schiit magni. it will not add much warmth (will be more like the o2) but its powerful and very neutral/transparent.
the fiio e12 would work. the a3 is questionable - it works but is not quite strong enough to get the most out of bass. likewise a cmoy can power them but will not do bass justice as it will clip. the o2 amp is decent but pricey.

if you're looking for pricey options read http://www.head-fi.org/t/535497/most-powerful-portable-amp for a few.

i think you would be best with something like the e12.
if you were pairing the amp ONLY with an android phone the e18 would work.

hammernonailz

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
o2 will have a bit more soundstage and detail while the e12 will have more body and bass.

both are good and fairly powerful amplifiers. which one is right for you depends on what you prefer. o2 would win out on songs which sound best with lots of detail and soundstage while the e12 will win out on songs which bass impact or more fullness to the sound is better. i would say the o2 and e12 are about even and heavily compete with eachother on quality but target slightly different audiences.

if you were only going to use them at home, there are desktop amps like the schiit magni. it will not add much warmth (will be more like the o2) but its powerful and very neutral/transparent.

Solution