Portable, powerful laptop with dedicated gpu

aznsensazn29

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
1. What is your budget?
I suppose 800-1000, with 1400 being absolute maximum, over 1000 not preferred.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1600x900 is minimum, 1080p is nice, but not necessary

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A portable but powerful laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?
preferably around 5 hours, or more. I plan on taking this everywhere

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Saints Row 4- at least medium
Battlefield 4- at least medium
Assassin's Creed 3- same as above
Skyrim- high
Crysis 3- medium or high

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
not much, usually just web browsing. watching videos, rarely photoshop

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
preferably over 1Tb, I'm very used to the dual hard drive setup, very useful. I have two hard drives, and one's for programs, other one's for big files, movies, music. I really prefer the dual hard drive layout.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.dynamism.com/top-notebooks/gigabyte-p35k.shtml
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4644#sp
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MB5AA.005

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I want to keep this for maybe 2-3 years, kind of future-proof myself

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray would be nice, DVD ROM/Writer optional.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really care about the brand, just not HP or Dell. I've had bad experiences with both. I haven't tried Gigabyte yet, but I want to. Lenovo's build quality is great, especially IdeaPads and ThinkPads.

13. What country do you live in?
US

Also, Haswell i7, at least 8gb of RAM, BT 4.0, and keypad. Also, less than 5 lbs preferable.
Thanks! on a side note, do you know ways to earn money in order to buy a laptop? Thanks!

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
check out the lenovo y510p (or y410p if you want a 14" at all)

i know the y410p can manage around 5 hours with light use, probably a bit less on the y510p (in both cases it would depend on any additional hardware you have. And of course you probably wouldn't want to game on battery

Otherwise maybe look into ASUS ROG laptops

* as far as earning money: get a job, if you can't find one with a paycheck then try shoveling/mowing/raking leaves/walking and/or taking care of pets for the neighbors and getting them to pay you

aznsensazn29

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply! However, I forgot to mention that the weight is also a factor, and my friend owns the Y510P (he complains that it's too heavy, it's almost 6 pounds). I'm looking for something maybe less than or equal to five, around four? Thanks! and thanks for the suggestions too!

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
The best future proof PC won't be a laptop but a desktop because you an upgrade a desktop. So I highly recommend you to build your own !

aznsensazn29

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I would, but I prefer carrying a laptop around, as opposed to a desktop. Hm. The link you put is nice, but is there much of a difference between the Gt 750 and a Gtx 750?

aznsensazn29

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Oh, whoops. I meant the Gtx 765 2gb and the Gt 750 4gb.