Possible to connect two external speakers to a laptop?

chrisayyy

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
Hey guys, was searching around the internet for this answer but can't find an answer that suits my specific needs.

I have an Asus 551L with a realtek soundcard, and was wondering if I'm able to setup two external speakers; Logitech Z623 and "Water Fountain Speakers" to the laptop via an 3.5mm auxiliary splitter? Was also wondering if this will reduce audio quality as well.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The 3.5mm port is a line level signal. It cannot drive unpowered speakers. It can only provide signal. You would need the sub-woofer with the speakers because that is where the amplifier is that powers the speakers.

chrisayyy

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

So what does that mean? Is it still possible, if so and how? The water fountain speakers can be powered through a powerpoint via the usb port if that makes any difference?

Cheers for answering !

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
So basically, your soundcard is only able to provide the audio signal to the 3.5mm jack. It is expecting that this signal will go into an amplifier of some sort before it is pushed to a speaker. This is typically the green wire from your sound card which goes to the sub-woofer for amplification. The amplified signal is then fed to your speakers.

In your case, the amplifier is on the Z623 sub-woofer or inside it. Most all PC sound cards are like this. Some have headphone amplifiers on them but it is rare to see a soundcard that has say a multi-channel amplifier(does one even exist?). They generate a lot of heat and the heat-sinks required, take up a lot of space. This is the reason most 5.1/7.1/9.1 home receivers have not gotten much smaller over the years. They are equipped with amplifiers so you can provide all your line level sources to it. It has the responsibility of all amplification and powering all of your speakers.

You don't have to use the subwoofer that came with the speakers but you do have to amplify this signal before it can be used by un-powered speakers.

You could get around this by buying some wireless speakers/Bluetooth speakers if you are trying to get sound from your laptop to somewhere that power is inconvenient. The speakers will need batteries for the same reason above....... they still receive only the line level signal and are amplifying this signal in its own internal amplifier before playing out. With Bluetooth speakers, you could even push content to them using your smartphone, instead of your laptop.

chrisayyy

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

Alright awesome, thanks for answering! So basically my laptop's sound card can only power through the 3.5mm jack, and since the water fountain speakers are 'unpowered speakers' it cannot power it through a splitter as it's not hooked up to the amplifier which is the subwoofer? The subwoofer has an AUX port on it, would I be able to connect the 'Water Fountain Speakers' to that?

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

Correct.

Also, if the water fountain speakers are designed for outdoor use, they might actually require a different voltage all together like 70V+ of AC voltage from a proprietary amplifier. If you are just calling your Z623 speakers water fountain speakers because of where you have located them, then nevermind =)

The signal a PC sound card provides, goes to speakers that are supposed to be plugged into the power outlet either from the subwoofer or from one of the speakers. It cannot make sound on speakers that are not "plugged in"

Some speakers can use power from the USB +5Volts. The Z623 are not one of those.

Solution

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Well now, those are USB powered speakers. They will work within the USB specification. USB cable length is of concern here. 5 Meters or 15 feet Max. Sometimes you can go further depending on the device but generally audio and video data needs to be within this distance. They get power from the USB +5VDC supply to power the line-level signal.

chrisayyy

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
Yea, I got abit confused when you said outdoor speakers, my bad on my behalf for not mentioning that detail. So it is possible with an 3.5mm auxiliary adapter? Thanks for all your answers by the way skit75 !

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

The only thing the fountain speakers need is a USB cable connected between your laptop and the speakers and the 3.5mm green audio OUT jack connected from your laptop to the fountain speaker's input.

Getting the Z623 speakers to work would require the above conversation.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

Nope.

The USB power will still only power the fountain speakers. You would still need to amplify the pair of Z623's somehow.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
So you are splitting the audio Out signal from the laptop:

One feed going to the fountain speakers
One feed going to the Z623 subwoofer/amplifier input

That should work for you if your splitter is up to the task.

chrisayyy

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
Hey again skit, so I've bought the splitter and it does indeed work however the speakers itself has a built in amplifier like you said and so does my Z623. however I cannot change the sound on one speaker - it effects both. I'm just using a simple 3.5mm jack splitter, it also seems the volume of the fountain speakers overpower the Z623 in which I can only hear the bass from the Z623 speakers making the sound quality poor

So yes I am splitting the audio signal from the laptop !

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
What cables are plugged into you Sub/Amp? Or, make sure you have connected Front Left & Front Right Z623 speakers to the amp in the right spot(make sure they aren't connected to Rear L & R.

chrisayyy

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
I've got the left and right speakers of the Z623 plugged into it (the Z623 sub/amp. Theres only a slot for 'left' and 'right' none for front L and R or rear L and R. The sub/amp does have an AUX slot (red and white) is it possible to use a 3.5mm female to 2 RCA Male Aux Auxiliary to set up the two 'fountain speakers' to the sub/amp? Or will it sound the exact same as what I have now since the 'fountain speakers' do have there own amp