Solved! possible to stream from external HDD

ricobico

Commendable
Mar 19, 2019
I have several HDD in an external enclosure. Currently they are connected to my PC, which is connected to a WDTVlive which then pushes the media to two tvs in my house. this works fine, but we have to move the PC and I was hoping to dump the WD as the Tvs interface is much cleaner and faster.

My 2 TVs both accept video via USB, so is there any way to bypass the PC and WD, and just have the external hard drives act as a sort of server for both tvs? perhaps using a firestick, roku, slingbox, etc. I am sort of out of the loop when it comes to the newer streaming devices so any help is appreciated!

FYI: I do not subscribe to any services (netflilx, youtube, etc), so that is not an concern for this configuration. I just want the content on the harddrives

Solution
Thanks for the reply. the TVs are not smart. Basic LEDs.

What about a wireless hard drive?

Any way you connect your drives to the network, and then get the TVs to connect to the drives is fine. So a wireless NAS for files, and then a Roku or something on the TVs would work. TVs are LCD not LED, LED is just a lighting technology for the screen, it's not the screen type.
For both TVs? Not without a central location you share the drives out of. Look into how to setup PLEX on your network. I know the firestick has a PLEX app you can download and it will connect to a PLEX server. If your TVs are "smart" they may have a network file browser, and your router may have a USB data storage port you can attach the drives to without setting up PLEX. My LG TV has a file and photo app in it, it sees my network shares on computers as well as my USB 2TB drive I have on my router.

Thanks for the reply. the TVs are not smart. Basic LEDs.

What about a wireless hard drive?

Any way you connect your drives to the network, and then get the TVs to connect to the drives is fine. So a wireless NAS for files, and then a Roku or something on the TVs would work. TVs are LCD not LED, LED is just a lighting technology for the screen, it's not the screen type.

Solution