Power dies when unplugging AC Adapter, but battery works fine.

Spike Awesum

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Long story short, I spilled some wine on the keyboard of my Dell Latitude E6410. The glass was almost empty when I spilled it, so it couldn't have been more than an ounce or two. I turned the laptop off, removed the keyboard and attempted to dry up as much of it as possible. I used some compressed air to make sure there wasn't any missing wine inside the computer. I also let the laptop dry out overnight.

When I tried it the next day, it turned on, fired up and ran without a problem. ...It wasn't until I disconnected the AC adapter that I ran into trouble.

If I'm running on the battery, and I press the power button to turn the computer on, it boots up runs Windows just fine. I have no problems whatsoever. If I plug the AC adapter in the computer screen lights up brighter and will continue to run without a problem.

However when I disconnect the AC adapter, the computer turns off immediately. After unplugging the AC adapter, the laptop will not turn back on. If I remove the battery momentarily, it will turn back on with no problems running off of either the battery for the AC adapter. I know the battery charges when the AC Adapter is plugged in.

Any ideas of what part I need to try to clean?

Spike Awesum

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Any suggestions? I was thinking of wiping it down with rubbing alcohol, letting it air dry and giving it a shot, however I'm not sure where I need to look. I know wine can be acidic and could be leaving a residue somewhere on the mother board causing this issue, however I dont' know where on the board to try to clean. I don't want to clean the entire board if I do not have to.