Solved! Power light on but nothing happens

May 25, 2020
I own a Lenovo thinkpad e590. I very stupidly continued using the charger cord even though it had split and the wires were exposed. I was waiting for the new one to arrive, but unfortunately last night it visibly and audibly sparked while plugged in and then my laptop went black. The power light was still on, but nothing else was happening. I held it down for 10+ seconds until it went off then tried turning it back on. The light will either stay on until I hold the button down for 10 seconds or else blink on and off very slowly like in sleep mode, but nothing I try will make anything else work.

I removed the internal battery and put it back in but no go. The new charger arrived today (so insanely annoyed with myself for not waiting just a few days!) which I plugged in without the battery in - when I do this and listen closely with the back cover off, there is a very faint beep whenever I press the button.

Any advice on how I can figure out what I might have specifically fried? Hoping I can just replace something myself rather than buy a new laptop because the machine itself was fantastic.

Solution
Doubt you can actually replace anything in the system to fix it outside of the full motherboard. If it has a separate board for power plug can try replacing that. Another thing to try is to remove the battery and the CMOS battery, hold in the power button for 30 seconds, plug in only the charger and see if it turns on.
Doubt you can actually replace anything in the system to fix it outside of the full motherboard. If it has a separate board for power plug can try replacing that. Another thing to try is to remove the battery and the CMOS battery, hold in the power button for 30 seconds, plug in only the charger and see if it turns on.

Solution