Power Surge on Stereo

Wilder

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hey, guys. I've got a bit of a problem. I am, by trade, a computer repairman and IT Pro. Somehow this got me signed up to take a look at a stereo system that encountered a rather unfortunate lightning strike a few years back. A computer that suffered the same strike was easily repaired and remains in fine working condition.

Now, I've never exactly been inside of audio equipment before. I'm guessing the problem here is going to be with the receiver so that's what I've got right now. My working plan is to crack it open, look for any visible burns and then... what? Any notion of what it could be and how to fix it? Power supply? Transistor? I'm rather at a loss here. Plus the system is massive with loads of giant speakers and a turntable and... Well, I may be in over my head.

So I guess if anyone has a simple guide to aid me that is what I would be looking for here.

Cheers, all.

SmurfOnABoat

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
A make and model of the stereo in question may help a little. Look for signs of burns, most stereo units and/or audio (video) receivers have onboard glass fuses. Check for those to be blown. Transisters/Caps/Resistors etc... any of those could of sustained damage. Check for burn marks and fuses first.