Powerdirector 16 Versions

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Looks like ultimate pretty much just adds some effects and templates. I'd "rather" get it than ultra, but the ultra version is almost constantly on sale for around $40, whereas ultimate is usually $100 for an actual disc version.

Just wondering if it's really worth getting ultimate...

No way am I going to pay a monthly fee to use the adobe program or pay the high cost of vegas pro. Then most other software either doesn't let you burn to BR, charges you extra to do so, is missing key features, or is slow. So I've about settled on powerdirector.

Also, judging by recent years, 17 is probably releasing in a few months, but when I asked them about it, they are making me register an account just to read their email answer. lol. So i'll probably not bother with that.

Anyway, so ultimate necessary or not? Recently newegg even had the combo of ultra and cyberlink's photo editor for $45 or $55 combined! Maybe should have just done that.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Main thing I am learning is that companies making these programs of under $150 don't know what they are doing in optimization. Powerdirector is broken with amd gpus and then I read about videostudio being horrible with any gpus.... which would explain why it takes so long to encode. People pointed out that if you look at your gpu use when encoding, even when enabling hardware optimization, the gpu is barely even used.

I'm starting to wonder why pay money for something where they don't even code it properly. And again it makes me feel like I wasted money on a gpu. I had to get something, though.

Also, I found the comparison of encoding times again. videostudio was almost TRIPLE the time of PD on one example project they used. That is a major difference. If you have a 1 hour project on PD, that could be 2-3 hours on VS. Just think if you have a 3 hour one on PD. That would be up to 9 hours on VS. Someone on the cyberlink forums told me someone has had projects on P take days before. So i guess with VS it would be weeks. lol.

So that's what scares me away.

Also, what is an example of needing more than 20 overlays? I can't think of anything VS has that PD doesn't, but there are things PD has that VS doesn't. (no overlays limit, I believe, and also faster and gpu acceleration that works when using nvidia card).

I'll probably end up unhappy with anything I get. Either slow PD, due to no nvidia card, or slow VS due to it always being slow.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
btw, do all of these programs have ability to do things like where jay leno's show had videos where his head was on someone else's body? I havent even looked into what all things you can do with particular software just playing around or if one has more "fun" features than another.

It is highly doubtful you would ever use anywhere close to that many tracks.
The effect you are asking about would be possible with mattes. I will look at VideoStudio later to see if it is possible.
None of them are perfect. If you go in thinking you'll be unhappy then you'll spend more time looking for flaws than having "fun" with the process.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

I just know from past programs how bad it is when it takes several hours for every project.

I understand that and that is why I suggested trial versions just to see how long each would take to render a complete project. I understand that Blu-ray may not be available in a trial version but at least you would know whether or not the editing program would have the features you like and give you an idea of what works best with your hardware.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Have you used Resolve? I am considering that now, but read it's extremely difficult to learn and doesn't have many effects. Also people say nvidia cards are best for it, but an article says it's recommended to have 8GB or more of gpu VRAM, and the gtx 1060 only has 6GB vs. the rx 580, which has 8GB. I have both cards, trying to sell one or the other.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
cool. now I see resolve won't even let you edit 4k content and has about every effects tripped in the free version. I just can't win. Nobody interested in my good gpu versions when I accidentally get stuck with 2 gpus and now I have to either choose a consumer editing program that makes my pc specs totally wasted or spend $300 instead of $50.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I can get both photoshop elements and premiere elements for a combined $24, but I still feel like it would be a waste since I'd likely still want resolve or powerdirector, anyway, and can use the deal on something else.