Solved! Different versions of Office 365 apps being installed ?

mdsimmons1118

Proper
Aug 6, 2018
I get a free Microsoft Office 365 subscription through my college.
When I download and installed Office on both my desktop and my laptop, it looks like two different versions of Office 365 apps are installed on each computer ?
What I mean is on my desktop it also installed OneNote 2016 and OneDrive for Business bud these didn't get installed on the laptop. Also the versions of the Office apps on my desktop look like they are brand new (There is a blue title bar for Word and the tabs are light grey and the Start screen looks like a new one too) While on my laptop the apps just look like the normal Office 2016 apps.
I checked for updates on both of them and they both say they are up to date with version 1809 through the Monthly channel.
Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix this. This is the first time seeing these "new" Office apps on my desktop so I am not sure if it is a beta?
Any ideas on what's happening?
Thanks

Solution

office 365 is an online version of office which is subscription based. you are getting it confused with a version like office 2016 which is a standalone version of office

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Office 365 is confusing and horrible, but... it is what it is. If you go to control panel, programs and features and select Office 365 (or whatever the description it is) and select change you can do a quick repair or an online repair. The online repair is supposed to update it to the latest revision. However, personally I find Office 365 to be very buggy. You can always try to uninstall it and reinstall it from your source.

mdsimmons1118

Proper
Aug 6, 2018

It is the version you download and install on the computer. But I do have to go to the website to download It's not the online version though.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

office 365 is an online version of office which is subscription based. you are getting it confused with a version like office 2016 which is a standalone version of office

Solution