Prepaid plans in ontario?

the905

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
hey need some good advice, i want to buy a cell phone. doesnt matter really if its a flip phone or a smart phone. i dont want to go on contract because of bad credit history lol. so pay as you go. now does anyone know the best carrier to pick for the st catharines area in ontario? i just want air time i dont need texting or anything else. but as you know air time is freeking expsenive. i know you can go to the corner store and pick up airtime for 10 dollars and that only gives you 30 minutes of local calling. is there any better deals for airtime? like some 20 dollar airtime card that gives you 500 minutes that i dont know of?? i am a noob when it comes to the cell phone market. but im sure someone on toms can help me !

Solution
I would assume it does work with Telus and Bell, but for some reason none of the phones on Newegg seem to list compatibility with either carrier. Your best bet would be to phone Telus or Bell and ask about it.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Just check out all the major carriers websites.
Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin.

Then there's the subsidiary carriers.
Fido (owned by Rogers), Koodo (owned by Telus).

There may be more in your area, for example Saskatchewan also has SaskTel. I'm in Alberta myself, so I'm not sure if Ontario has any other carriers.

Unfortunately there's no "magic phone card" that can give you 500 minutes for $20. However most companies offer prepaid monthly service; you buy a phone card at the convenience store and add the funds to your phone. Then you can add a prepaid monthly plan for the next 30 days. After 30 days your phone will revert to basic pay and talk status and you'll have to top up and re-order the 30 day service.

the905

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
thanks 4 the reply. do you know if bell or telus has better bang for the buck for aittime minutes? or are they all teh same. also are the conveince store airtime the same price as the airtime at the actual telus or bell store? like a 10 dollar card from the corner store or bell store would both give u 30 minutes for a 10 dollar card?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Telus' standard rate is 30 cents per minute but if you purchase a prepaid plan like unlimited texting the rate goes down to 20 cents. To be honest your best bet is Telus' prepaid plan for $40 a month. It includes unlimited text/pic/vid messaging, incoming calls, caller id, voicemail, and calling after 5pm and on weekends. If you were to buy a $50 phone card once a month, that $10 left over would be more than enough for 30 days to call someone during the day and say, "hey call me back cause my incoming is free."

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
No prob, if this helped you can you mark me for the best answer? It helps myself, and yourself for that matter, advance here on Tom's. It also closes the thread and marks it as "solved" since it's a question thread. And remember to do the same from now on for others who help you as well.

Good luck choosing a phone/plan.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I would assume it does work with Telus and Bell, but for some reason none of the phones on Newegg seem to list compatibility with either carrier. Your best bet would be to phone Telus or Bell and ask about it.

Solution