Prepaid SIM on unlocked Phone?

Urzu1000

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I've been considering getting a prepaid phone from Verizon (I live in the U.S.), but I don't like any of their phones. I'm more of a "let's build a computer, install new cooling solutions, and overclock it!" type of guy, and the idea of getting such a weak phone is a little sad. :/

If I was to purchase an unlocked smart phone with much better hardware, could I put the SIM card from the other phone inside the new one, and then still use it for texting/calls and such? Is the phone number connected to the SIM card? How does it all really work?

Thanks in advance for answering such a noob question. I'm just new when it comes to phones (never owned a smartphone before), and I like to know enough to wrap my head around it before I purchase anything.

Solution
Check Lenovo K910 Vibe Z - 16Gb $299, Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, good cameras, great pixel density and upgradable to kit kat.
I agree with Alabalcho, don't go for unknown Chinese devices unless it's Lenovo or even Huawei (if you don't care about Chinese espionage), those "boutique chinese" devices are not supported and come with mediocre quality, but yeah... their prices are insanely low.
To get unlocked devices you have to select from AT&T, T-Mobile or any Tracfone affiliate company, because only GSM devices are unlocked, with Verizon you won't find this type of phone.
Regards
Verizon uses SIM cards only for data on their LTE-enabled phones, so I doubt you will be able to get a GSM phone and activate it on Verizon. You better hop in their store and ask the question.

Edit: Just looked at verizonwireless.com: I can't say there are "weak phones" there. iPhone 5s weak? Galaxy 5 weak? Don't think so.

Urzu1000

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

I meant that phones in general feel weak when compared to the enthusiast level gaming rigs that I'm used to using, not so much that the phones Verizon offers are weak compared to other phones. I've looked into the GSM phones, and I've decided that I'll probably have to go with AT&T for that. I'm planning on purchasing a Chinese smartphone with higher-end hardware. They are fairly cheap, work the same, and will hopefully last me a lot longer then one of the prepaid phones that are offered at any of the major U.S. retailers.

As long as I have a GSM network provider, and a SIM card to go with it, I should be golden, right?

@Urzu - being an enthusiast, I would not go with boutique Chinese phones. You will get a phone with firmware you will most probably be unable to upgrade, from company which may not survive till next week (and unwilling to upgrade it anyway).

Mainstream phones have support from their manufacturers (you will get probably next version of Android from them), and from modders' community (check XDA developers) where you can tweak (firmware-wise) your phone in many more ways.

Urzu1000

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
You sound like you're knowledgeable on the subject. Could you recommend a good unlocked GSM phone at an affordable (>$300) price? I don't plan to use it for much more then the average consumer would, but I would like some room to grow - or should I not use my phone excessively - that will allow the phone to last me several years.

Noprompt

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
Check Lenovo K910 Vibe Z - 16Gb $299, Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, good cameras, great pixel density and upgradable to kit kat.
I agree with Alabalcho, don't go for unknown Chinese devices unless it's Lenovo or even Huawei (if you don't care about Chinese espionage), those "boutique chinese" devices are not supported and come with mediocre quality, but yeah... their prices are insanely low.
To get unlocked devices you have to select from AT&T, T-Mobile or any Tracfone affiliate company, because only GSM devices are unlocked, with Verizon you won't find this type of phone.
Regards

Solution

shapuaisili

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I doubt you will be able to get a GSM phone and activate it on Verizon. You better hop in their store and ask the question.
CYbOsn