Solved! Presenting the latest iPhone Killer wannabe

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
MICROSOFT has unveiled a new mobile phone operating system to challenge smartphones such as the iPhone and BlackBerry.

Launched in Spain, the Windows Phone 7 Series system focuses as much on personal media functions as on business ones. Samsung, LG, HTC and Ericsson are expected to start selling phones using the system late this year.

A coalition of 24 telecom companies also announced an open platform for developing applications to work across all phone carriers, devices and operating systems. The move is seen as a direct challenge to Apple's App Store.

Joe Belfiore of Microsoft said the aim of the new system was to simplify smartphone use. A goal was to integrate functions that mean the most to people, including photos, contacts, video, games, music and work applications.

Source :ange:

Solution
I wouldn't say it's an iPhone killer wannabe anymore than iPhone was a WinMob killer wannabe.

Reality is that Both iPhonOSX and WinMob take backseats to Symbian, Blackberry OS, and likely even Android by now.

iPhone killer concept is no longer relevant because iPhone never was the OS leader, and they definitely aren't the hardware leader either. iPhone started out with alot of steam and then just stalled, with the upcoming 4G looking like nothing more than a refresh.

It's a nice phone, don't get me wrong I like having it as one of the 5 I carry with me at any time, but it's far from the Jebus phone it was built-up to be, so iPhone-killer just doesn't matter anymore to most people outside the nervous iPhone owners always look for the...

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I wouldn't say it's an iPhone killer wannabe anymore than iPhone was a WinMob killer wannabe.

Reality is that Both iPhonOSX and WinMob take backseats to Symbian, Blackberry OS, and likely even Android by now.

iPhone killer concept is no longer relevant because iPhone never was the OS leader, and they definitely aren't the hardware leader either. iPhone started out with alot of steam and then just stalled, with the upcoming 4G looking like nothing more than a refresh.

It's a nice phone, don't get me wrong I like having it as one of the 5 I carry with me at any time, but it's far from the Jebus phone it was built-up to be, so iPhone-killer just doesn't matter anymore to most people outside the nervous iPhone owners always look for the next one.

Solution

phesoge

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I would agreet they take a back seat at the moment to Symbian, and most likely android by now. I dont know about the blackberry OS. I think they will be fading unless they make some changes. Perhaps not in the business sector, but I have seen alot of the average users leaving blackberries for anroid device, iphone ect.. Symbian phones are terrific, but they dont have a huge market presence in the States at the moment.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Symbian is a bit limited though, and while Nokia does a good job of pushing it forward even they see the limitation, hence the move to MeeGo.

Blackberry will always be strong in the business sector, the consumer sector they don't need as much, but they still have the best Qwerty products out there for texters who prefer that.

tupix

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Two things must be very clear:
1 - SERIES: this word means that will be more than 1 version, like a WP7 Starter Edition, for exemple.
2 - Compatibility: there wont be compitibility between this version (WP7) and the previous version, so who will writte new programs for this OS???

I really dont like the iPhone (no multi tasking!!!), but WP7 doesnt looks an iPhone-Killer to me! But the phones with this sistem will be avaliable just on winter 2010!