Solved! Preserve battery of unused laptop

Jun 6, 2020
Hello everyone,
Thanks to Covid-19 the laptop I used to take note during the lectures at university is now used for 1-2 month ( I used a few times just to say "hey" as I have a desktop computer too).
It will probably be unused for some more time as lectures are canceled until septembre (Belgian here).
How can I preserve the battery of my laptop ? I know the battery can "go down" by herself when unused so what is the best way to handle it ?
Thanks!

Solution
Hi - there are no rules when it comes to batteries, but this is what I would do if I were you - and it also depends on the brand of laptop.

In Dell, Lenovo and HP laptops, there is usually a way to set the max charge on a battery for people who always leave their systems plugged in. My Dell 7400 is set for 65%.

See if your system can do that. Then, also test how much power you lose when off, or in hibernate mode. See if when off the same limit is imposed. For example, my Dell will charge only to 65% even when off with this setting.

Once you know how much you lose per day or week, just plug it in occasionally to get back to ~65% or so. All of the above is based on the typical recommendation that lithium batteries are best stored...

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi - there are no rules when it comes to batteries, but this is what I would do if I were you - and it also depends on the brand of laptop.

In Dell, Lenovo and HP laptops, there is usually a way to set the max charge on a battery for people who always leave their systems plugged in. My Dell 7400 is set for 65%.

See if your system can do that. Then, also test how much power you lose when off, or in hibernate mode. See if when off the same limit is imposed. For example, my Dell will charge only to 65% even when off with this setting.

Once you know how much you lose per day or week, just plug it in occasionally to get back to ~65% or so. All of the above is based on the typical recommendation that lithium batteries are best stored around 65%.

R

Solution