Pressure Sensitive Touchscreens In Near Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I am fairly certain that Wacom has pressure sensitivity... I mean, I use it in my TX2500Z with Microsoft OneNote all the time...[/citation]

Cheaply

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Now imagine people pushing HARD to get more, faster or whatever they're trying to do and eventually crack the display in the heat of the moment. ;-) Great prospect though regarding functionality.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Not buying an iPad...ever[/citation]
And Lick click, Lick Harder....

now
Squeeze Nips.. Yes sir.. You are a Fast learner.......

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This doesnt interest me.

Now show me a touch-screen that you dont have to touch, so my greasy fingers after eating fries dont get the screen all smeared, then I will buy it.
I think MS Surface (2nd gen) will do this, but they need to scale it down so a tablet PC can use it and/or smartphones.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I am fairly certain that Wacom has pressure sensitivity... I mean, I use it in my TX2500Z with Microsoft OneNote all the time...[/citation]
key word is CHEAP pressure snsitivity. damn learn to read
wacom tablets are expensive the ones that have better sensitivity get even more expensive.

rpg89

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]key word is CHEAP pressure snsitivity. damn learn to read wacom tablets are expensive the ones that have better sensitivity get even more expensive.[/citation]

The title of the article makes it sound like it's a brand new concept, rather than an improvement of something that exists. Cheap is certainly a great improvement, though.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]key word is CHEAP pressure snsitivity. damn learn to read wacom tablets are expensive the ones that have better sensitivity get even more expensive.[/citation]

The title is "Pressure Sensitive Touchscreens in Near Future." I had a Wacom pressure sensitive screen over three years ago. This technology that is supposed to be available in the "neat future" is almost half a decade old. I don't really give much credit to Toms reporting anymore but the lack of research done on some topics is just downright shameful.

Thanks for the reminder Toms why I rarely visit this site.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
And this article was brought to you by Kevin Parrish, surprise, surprise.

In terms of "cheap" pressure sensitivity, the touchscreen on the Nintendo DS actually is pressure sensitive, though there doesn't seem to be any software that actually supports this feature. Someone discovered this in a homebrew drawing program on a hacked DS.

G

"Today while consumers and gadget lovers are salivating over the freshly-revealed iPad and its pretty 9.7-inch screen"

More like: "The USA media is ramming Mr Job$ latest stolen idea down the throat of dumbed-down consumers"

G

ok people.. for those that are barking about how pressure sensitive technology has been around for years with Wacom and other providers - The Wacom requires a custom pen for it to function. You can't just simply place your finger on the pad and make use of the of 1024 levels of pressure. Sure Wacomb recently release their Bamboo touch series but those are junk.

The key to this article is that this technology would not require a stylus/pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.