Pretty much tossed between the Surface Pro 3 and the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

Surface Pro 3, Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, or ect.

• Surface Pro 3

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1800 but at Best Buy

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
d. Mainstream; 12-14"
3) Where will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Microsoft, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Samsung

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Web, email, youtube, office, light video editing (sony vegas pro 13), light picture editing (adobe elements, lightroom, and photoshop), autocad, solidworks, ect.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Extremely on the go, -3 lbs

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Absolutely none, maybe checkers or solitare

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
6+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Bestbuy

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows 8.1

Screen Specifics

12) 1080p+ touchscreen very preferred, pen input awesome but not needed

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen? almost needed touch screen so glass, otherwise matt prefered

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not so much

15) When are you buying this laptop? in few days/weeks

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? As long as it can last with it taken cared of.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? SSD 256gb min

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
No

This notebook will be my everyday on the go. slim/light/great battery.
I have a GT70 Dominator Pro with 880m but swapped to k5100m i7 4810 ect. So my portable workstation taken care of, I have a great pc so major hitting work accomplished there. I need something small light, all day battery to handle everything else, but will need light editing rendering work.

I have the surface pro 3, while its great. Im really worried about longevity. Since you cant open it to repair anything, and it overheats. I went through 4 original surface pro's, all within warranty and all provided me a brand new one, with the exception this last one netted me $1300 in best buy credit. A simple wifi adapter card ($20) was the culprit, but cant open so cant fix.

The Lenovo is better laptop than tablet, and doesn't have the pen plus battery while still decent isn't up to surface pro levels. But I can open it up, replace ssd which I will do asap.

I've looked into Acer S7, Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus, Asus Zenbook. While they were all good/great, the Lenovo comes really close and in some cases half the price, which is why I've really narrowed it down to those.

But if im missing something or anyone else has another suggestion please, comment below.

I would speak to a Best Buy representative and ask them if they can do a special order a laptop for you which they do not normally carry. I had a friend who used to be a sales person at Best Buy a few years ago and she told me that if I ever wanted to buy sometime through her (to get her employee discount) and Best Buy does not carry it, she would be able to so as long as Best Buy had a business relationship with the vendor. That policy may have change, she does not work there anymore.

I recommend the ThinkPad Yoga with the 1920x1080 resolution screen option and whatever CPU you want. However, it weighs in at 3.5lbs, but it supports a digitizer pen. So that is something to consider. Best Buy may or may not do special orders anymore, but it does not hurt to ask.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga/#

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks, and I started off comparing the thinkpad yoga about last year when I contemplated trading surface pro to the pro 2. I'm not to sure what aspect it lost on, maybe battery, but I do remember best buy unable to get it for me. Altough I have made several newer friends at Best Buy since then, so perhaps its work another look into.

I would go with the surface pro 3 as it has the best graphics card out of the 2 you have mentioned. This is the most important thing when you are doing autocad. An alternative is the razor blade which has a better graphics card than both of them, not sure about battery life though or if it can be bought through best buy.