Preventing scraping of my web page

dazle

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
How do you stop people copying the content of my web page (scraping)? I use Dreamweaver 4.
Regards Darrell

Solution

Unless you charge for the information on your webpage, and people are then scraping the page for data, then reselling, there isn't much you can do. If they scrape it for data, and sell it, it's kind of the end-user's responsibility to find the source... as harsh as that may sound.

Pretty much the case. While that may be a bit difficult, and people seem to always be willing to pay for ease of access, the only suggestions I could make would have to be based upon viewing the OP's website. I wish that wasn't the case, for many website...

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
There are two types of "scrapers" out there - the people who think everything on the net is free and don't have a clue about anything....you can put code in to disable things like right clicking on a picture to save it. You will stop the clueless folks....

The second is going to have tools that can basically copy almost anything (except databases if they are secure). There isn't much you can do to stop them, other than identifying people that have stolen you code, information and/or pictures, and sending them a cease and desist letter, and if they continue to use your copyrighted material - then you can sue them.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Pretty much the case.... Depending on what your reason for preventing scraping is, it may prove to be a fruitless effort. Hate to say it, but that's just how things currently are. Then again, I don't see why people want to prevent others from copying their data when they publish it on the internet; if the webpage is public, then it's probably going to get copied, whether you like it or not. No real reason to try to prevent it, IMO.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Unless you charge for the information on your webpage, and people are then scraping the page for data, then reselling, there isn't much you can do. If they scrape it for data, and sell it, it's kind of the end-user's responsibility to find the source... as harsh as that may sound.

Pretty much the case. While that may be a bit difficult, and people seem to always be willing to pay for ease of access, the only suggestions I could make would have to be based upon viewing the OP's website. I wish that wasn't the case, for many website owners.

Solution