Printer control and/or language

digitarian

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
***If this site is not appropriate for my question, then a kind recommendation to a more suitable one would be much appreciated!***

I'm trying to adapt an inkjet printer to print directly on a blank copper PC board. (nothing new here I'm sure!) Anyway, I'd like to try and get some more detailed control over how the printer behaves. Specifically, I'd like to try and get the printer to just start printing immediately without going through its paper feed/load sequence. The printer is a HP ENVY 5530. I know a 'little' bit about Visual Basic programming and at least am aware of the PCL printing language although I don't know the commands or how/where I would apply them. I just need some basic explanation on how to 'intervene' with the print driver to make the printer do a few basic that it wouldn't otherwise do.

Thanks.

Gord

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
You would be far better off to locate a printer designed for that specific task. What you are attempting will require that you write your own custom firmware for the printer and I doubt HP will be of any assistance in that regard. Just writing a driver will not be enough, and you'll need more than just 'a little bit' of VB knowledge to do either. The paper load/feed sequence (for one) is not under driver control.

digitarian

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

Thank you ex_bubblehead for your efforts in replying. I may be able to get around my problems by modifying/building a hardware solution, but a few command lines (if possible) would have been a more obvious solution. I just put through a piece of circuit board and it printed O.K. However, if was just a rough hand fed tryout and I still need to work out some more refined details.
Thanks again for your time.