problem with a quiet ceiling speaker

Bonzodog1

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
I've just had a Sonos system installed and one of the ceiling speakers is very quiet. The installer has switched the speaker for another and that is quiet also. He suggests that the speaker cable maybe trapped somewhere in the ceiling causing it to play quietly. Could this be the case or will it be somerhing else?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
If a cable was pinched it wouldn't be quiet it just wouldn't work. Sounds like a bad channel on the amplifier (or the balance is off). Make sure the left/right balance is set to the middle, if it is, then your Sonos or amplifier has an issue with the channel output. Sonos AMP boxes don't have channel gain but if its a Sonos Connect its connected to an amplifier that may have channel gain. If thats set right then the channel is bad.

Bonzodog1

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
Ive had the Sonos connected to ceiling speakers in the main rooms. Yes they did the wiring but sorting it means breaking in to the ceiling which is a major job. I just wondered if there was an easy way

It is very easy to determine where the problem is.
Exchange the left and right speaker cables at the Sonos ConnectAmp (or the amp that the Connect is using).
If the amp is bad then the other speaker will now play low.
If the wire or speaker are bad then the same speaker will play low.
Next step is to remove the speaker and connect it directly to the amp.
If it plays low then the speaker is bad (maybe the woofer is bad).
If the wire is bad then you will have to run a new cable. A partial short in the speaker cable could cause this. Your installer should be able to check the cable with a meter to determine this.
Sonos gear is pretty reliable but if it is the problem they will replace it for you under warranty.

Seems like all the things any basic installer should be able to do other basically i unno. lol.