Problem with Acer Aspire 5542-hope someone can help

cpm121

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi everyone out there,
First, a warning. If you have an Acer Aspire 5542 and want to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, DON'T!!!
Apparently, though you would have thought the specs match, there is something in the system that prevents window 10 from working on this laptop. I tried upgrading, after checking with microsoft that the system was supposed to be compatible with windows 10, and the system crashed on me during/after installation. If you want advice on getting windows 7 back, let me know. But afterwards I contacted Acer and they told me the laptop was incompatible with windows 10. So basically, you can't upgrade.

Now, having got back windows 7, the usb ports don't work. I can't save stuff to another hard drive or usb drive.
I am about to do a complete reset of the system (which Acer want to charge you £50 for but its easy enough to find out yourself how to do this) but I will lose all the information stored on the C drive. So, does anyone know how to get the usb drives to work again so I don't have to reset the laptop back to factory settings?

Any help appreciated.

Solution
It shows you quite clearly on Acer's support site that they (Acer) haven't released any Windows 10 drivers for that model. That's where you should have looked before installing Win 10.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/1336;-;Aspire+5542G

Backup your data to an external hard drive before doing factory restore. You should already be keeping your data backed up anyway so you are prepared for laptop drive failure. HDDs aren't indestructible!
It shows you quite clearly on Acer's support site that they (Acer) haven't released any Windows 10 drivers for that model. That's where you should have looked before installing Win 10.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/1336;-;Aspire+5542G

Backup your data to an external hard drive before doing factory restore. You should already be keeping your data backed up anyway so you are prepared for laptop drive failure. HDDs aren't indestructible!

Solution