problem with audio jack

Kris Kostova

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Hello I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I have a problem:
I hear a squeaky noise every time I plug in any type of headphones in my audio jack. I think the problem comes from my computer because I tested the same three types of headphones on other computers and I did not hear that same noise. It is really annoying and I want to get rid of it. Can anyone help me?

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Does the same noise come through when you have the volume turned all the way down when you plug them in? Sounds like you're getting the combination of your drivers popping (normal when plugging them in when the volume's turned up) with a bit of other noise interference from the mother board.

If that's the case, then using a DAC would probably be the best bet to solving this problem. That... or just don't wear them when you plug them in?

Kris Kostova

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Yes I can hear the same noise when turning the volume all the way down.
Excuse me but could you explain what is DAC please, because I guess I'm not very competent and I don't know how to solve this problem?

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
What I'm going to guess is you're having some interference with on your motherboard, which is causing that to happen; and I'm willing to bet that's the case, if you're using the onboard sound that came with the motherboard.

A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter, or basically an external audio source. The advantage to using a DAC is you're getting the sound converted to an analogue signal in it's own separate space, and the DAC is converting the audio for you, instead of the computer. It will also eliminate noise interference from other hardware, since it's converting the signal in it's own environment. One big upside is they typically have a manual volume control, so you don't need an in-line control, hotkeys, or to adjust the volume through your OS (Windows/Mac/etc.). They're definitely a great piece of hardware to have, and also a great way to run your computer speakers as well.

If you still have the same problem when using a DAC, then I'd either say your headphones are the problem (most likely not), or there's something going on with the headphone jack (again, most likely not the case). I'm quite sure that switching to a DAC would solve this problem.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
You won't need something that expensive for a simple fix. One of my go-to options for DACs is low priced music studio USB sound cards. For example, I ue a Line 6 Toneport UX1, opposed to a typical DAC. I have balanced mono outputs for my speakers, and a headphone jack on the front. Some will have independent volume controls too, so definitely shop around. You may not use them to their full potential, but they do the job very well. Also, most of them are very easy to work with, and you can ignore all the extra software that they come with (usually extra goodies for producers).

Of the two you linked, they'd both do fine, as long as you have a splitter to connect your headphones with.