Problem with connecting Surface Pro 1 to a Samsung TV

Reckles5

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
I bought a new samsung tv today which should arrive this thursday but unfortunately I don't have a "real laptop" at home to connect it to with an HDMI cable. What I have is surface pro 1 which doesn't have an HDMI slot. I was looking at chromecast as a solution, but chromecast only works if you are surfing the internet while using the google chrome web browser. Basically I'm looking for a better alternative to chromecast. Is there a way to connect my surface pro that only has a usb slot with my TV wirelessly? If not wirelessly how can I make it work without a HDMI port. Looking for the most affordable solution, ideally wireless, but if not possible then wired is also fine.

Solution
the wireless adapter is "equivalent" to the chromecast dongle which plugs into the tv. The difference is that the microsoft adapter has NO apps in it. It is used purely to convert the wireless signal sent from the pc to an hdmi feed into your tv... that's it. On your PC, you go to the "connect device panel" (right side "menu item") in windows. Basically it looks for devices to "pair to"... it should see the wireless adapter and you connect to it... much like blue tooth pairing.
Once it is paired... what ever is on your pc / tablet screen, now shows up on the tv for that hdmi input. That's it.
You can then run any media app on your pc that you want and play what ever you want there after and it goes to your TV (of course, you...

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
not sure if they (microsoft) figured out how to get "their" wireless dongle working. Iirc, there was some issues with a surface unit. I use mine with a acer tablet computer to do stuff to a samsung... works well. Its based on miracast capability... kind of part of "blue tooth domain" but with its own miracast operational interface.
Look toward microsoft wireless display adapter. There is no computer connection (that's the wireless part)... it then connects to the tv via hdmi plus you need a usb power wart.

Reckles5

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
To be honest I was really interested in chromecast, but it seems like there could be some lag issues, and also only casting chrome browsers is a pretty big downside. My father really likes watching sports on surface but his posture is pretty terrible and neck starting to hurt. We bought this really expensive samsung 65" 4K curved TV so he can truly enjoy his sports comfortably. I need a solution, even if it's wired to the surface pro that shows movies and sports without lag, if someone can point my toward a product, a converter or anything that does this I would really appreciate it.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
ok... no problem. The windows wireless adapter casts anything that is on your screen and isn't particular. It basically a mirroring system so it doesn't have any restrictions. Lag might be an issue if he has other feeds (ie. audio coming from a radio or trying to watch the tablet screen and big screen at the same time)... but if you are watching / listening just one thing, then I don't think it is noticeable. Hopefully someone will give you more ideas.

I use adapter to "broacast" stuff from the "next generation" xbox media center app which gives you the world... :)

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
the wireless adapter is "equivalent" to the chromecast dongle which plugs into the tv. The difference is that the microsoft adapter has NO apps in it. It is used purely to convert the wireless signal sent from the pc to an hdmi feed into your tv... that's it. On your PC, you go to the "connect device panel" (right side "menu item") in windows. Basically it looks for devices to "pair to"... it should see the wireless adapter and you connect to it... much like blue tooth pairing.
Once it is paired... what ever is on your pc / tablet screen, now shows up on the tv for that hdmi input. That's it.
You can then run any media app on your pc that you want and play what ever you want there after and it goes to your TV (of course, you can shut off your pc screen so that you only see your tv display... basically you are set up for second screen operation). As I indicated, I run the "next gen xbox media center app" which give you access to the "world"... :))))

the adapter is about $50 that's the hardware. The software is part of windows 8 and above (ie. the miracast system "drivers")... but there are some issues that I came across at the microsoft store, people indicated in and around certain surface tablets but I don't recall which they were... of course, only microsoft would bring out an adapter that would be incompatible with some of their latest computers... sheesh. Hopefully the surface pro isn't one of those... its got to do with the "blue toothish WIDI stuff" I think which is some of the drivers / hardware in the base computer systems from intel.

PS. I see on the microsoft web page that the wireless display adapter is compatible with the surface pro so you could be in luck.

Solution

Reckles5

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
This makes a lot more sense now. One last question, you mention that you can cast any media from your PC to your TV. Indeed, I think my PC already has that wireless adapter as when I right click on a media file there is a cast to device option. But what about non media files like my internet explorer browser or folders, desktop etc (just windows in general)

Reckles5

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
I can right click a video file on my PC and cast to the TV and it works, but how do I mirror the display? I'm unable to cast something that isn't a file on my PC like youtube or any website accessed through an internet browser.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
Actually I wasn't thinking totally. You have a new tv and you have a relatively new PC. Miracast capability is basically built into a lot of systems but like most "new" things, they aren't always "co-opertive"... :) .... maybe.
Anyways, the only reason you need the wireless adapter, is if your smart tv DOES NOT have the miracast capability. Otherwise, if it does and it "talks nicely" with your MS pc, then you are basically there.
Basically, go into the "connect device" panel / menu, link / connect your pc to the TV and you should be "happy". What you have tried is "casting" / selecting what you want to cast but you haven't actually "connected" / linked the pc itself (desktop) to any device.
At least, that's how I think it works... I don't have any TV's with built in capability so I use the wireless adapter. BUT remember, what I indicated, just because a tv has the capability, doesn't mean the two will "play" together.
You should do some reading about miracast and microsoft (specifically look at how they setup the wireless display adapter... you will be doing the same thing but without the adapter if your TV has the stuff built in) along with the smart TV you have and find out what they are capable of. You might be there.

englishjerry

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi budwich, I have a new surface pro 4 with Win10 and a new LG TV with webOS2 and miracast built in. In trying to connect I get a time out error - the surface finds the TV as a new device, and says to follow the instructions on the TV. The TV says surface trying to connect. They both then time out after a minute, with neither device saying what the problem is, nor offering any next step.

I've seen a number of other people have this problem with surface laptops, even tough other devices connect. Most grateful if you can advise any workable fix that doesn't invovle buying more hardware. Thx. Jerry

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
don't have any good answer for you... :-( you could try finding another set (friend or otherwise) to see if indeed the surface is working correctly. Not sure if the miracast "subsystem" can be reloaded in the surface, but you could try removing and reloading. Miracast "implementations" across different platforms isn't necessarily the "most stable set" out there... :-(

Further, try moving closer to the tv as you might be having "airwave interference" issues.

Lastly, as a further test, if you can, try using a "wired connection" via the displayport output to ensure that your PC is actually working properly with ANY second / alternative display .... my guess is windows 10 second display issue.

One other question, what "mode" (ie. are trying two screens, extended, etc)... try some other modes of projection.
further, what resolution are you setting? make sure the resolution is set to something that the tv can handle so that the "negotiation" isn't having a problem.

This link to a intel widi forum might help with determining where the problem lies...
https://communities.intel.com/thread/96960