Problem with my Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q887

Messer86

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Hi guys,
I’ve been having this problem with my Laptop (Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q887) and I need your help. I don’t know what the cause is but, my computer is freezing like crazy. I cannot figure out why. It seems to happen at random times and it doesn’t seem to matter what I am doing at the time. It seems totally random to me. Sometimes it happens within a few minutes of starting up the computer, or 30 minutes,an hour or more into using it. Other times I can use it for all day/night with no problems. I can be playing games, watching a movie, surfing the web, typing in a forum, watching YouTube, downloading data or even just while idle.
It doesn’t restart it just locks up, the screen freezes, the sound stops, and the mouse stops moving. The keyboard will still light up when a key is pressed but the “Caps Lock” and Num Lock” toggle lights go off and are non responsive. I’m forced to hard reboot, and sometimes before BIOS it says no OS found, I’m not sure if that’s because of the same problem or the result of the hard reboot. Other times it freezes while Windows is starting up. Once it happens it repeats it’s self a few times and either remains stable or keeps happening until I give up and come back later.

At first I thought it might be a heat issue as a desktop replacement “gaming” laptop it does heat up pretty good under load, sometimes though it’s not hot at all when it freezes. Just in case though I cleaned out the vent on the back and made sure there was no dust or anything blocking it and elevated it by about an inch off the desk for airflow. It still happened so I thought it might be a virus, I use Avast and ran a scan and a startup scan didn’t help. I tried using the computer while the AC power cable it not connected and just running on the battery, still froze. I tried taking the battery our and just running off the power cable, still froze. I tried using Windows Startup Repair, it did its thing for a while then it came on and said it would not repair the problem. Below are the details Starup Repair gave me. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help! If there is any other info that I left out that might be pertinent ask and I’ll do my best to answer.

Windows Startup Repair

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 266
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0256.1
Locale ID: 1033

System Specs
Intel Core i7 740QM / 1.73 GHz
4GB DDR3 1066MHz memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 360M (2298MB total: 1GB GDDR5 discrete memory + up to 1274MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology)
500GB HDD (7200rpm)
Blu-ray Disc™ ROM and DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash®
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
AC Adapter 180W (19V x 9.5A) Auto-sensing,100-240V AC Adapter
Battery High Capacity Li-Ion (87Wh, 12-cell)

Sarkis Olivencia

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

I have the same laptop, sadly toshiba releases enhanced driver every 7 years or so , so i had to look all over for mine since i game a lot and having 2010 reference drivers on a $1,300 pc seems barbaric.

I recently reformated my pc with the3 windows iso straight out of Microsoft and the usb tool they have, set to auto download drivers and it finds most of them if not all. machine is running like a dream again. Only thing its overheating a lot, using the drivers and beta ones push the pc to the max, so i will be servicing it soon , to apply thermal paste to cpu andd video card, and airblast it. This pc is virtually on 12 hours a day since oct 2010 , and has performed incredibly. I would advise for u to backup your data to external drive and reformat , either toshiba system restore , or clean os win7 sp1 download from microsoft in order to rule out hardware problem.
freezes are most likely bad ram, bad hd.
shut downs , are caused by over heating.

diadgostic tools i suggest:
speenfan
cpuz
nvdia inspector
msi kombustor

good luck

Scott Bailey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I hope this helps a little, I am the proud owner of a Qosmio X870 (Shipped to Australia Xmas 2012) so it is ONLY 9 months old. The laptop is great, however, without a Thermaltake (Cooling fan under my 17" Gaming Laptop) it overheats really quickly. If it is a heat related issue then look for a cooling pad to place under it, it should fix it! This is my ONLY issue with my 3D Gaming laptop, the heat it makes when 3D Gaming!

Hey, it is worth a try! Good Luck, I hope this helps, anyone who is having heat freezing type shut downs!

Scott QLD, Australia
(Intel i7 3630 Quad Core, 16GB RAM, nVidia GE Force GTX 670M with DDR5, 3GB RAM, Windows 8 Pro (64 Bit), Blue-Ray RE, Twin HDD, 17" HD (1920x1080) Back lit screen with 3d Vision, Haman/Kardon Stereo Speakers and USB 3.0) Yep, Bang for my Buck Toshiba Qosmio X870 :)