Problem with Westinghouse 42" connected to hp laptop with hdmi

Kodin

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014
I am having a problem with my tv. Whenever i watch a movie on netflix or anywhere, i can see these, its kind of hard to explain, these like darker bars running from the top of the screen down to the bottom. If you have ever tried to take a video or a picture of a monitor you know what im talking about, it looks like that. But my 32" magnavox in the bed room doesnt do that. I've tried turning down the brightness, but i have to turn it down to the point where everything is waaaaaay too dark, ive tried messing with the contrast but that doesnt help. Its max is 60hz, so is it a frame rate issue? Bad hdmi cable? Wires being to close to each other? I dont know too too much about hdtvs so i was wondering if you guys could help me out in figuring this out. I have a video of it doing this, but im not sure how to attach it.
7d9d1041_PICT0009-4.jpeg
here is a picture of another tv doing what im describing. How do i make it stop doing this? Its driving me crazy!!! I hate it when i cant figure something out and im obsessing about it. Please help if anyone knows a solution to this. Thank you all in advance for your time, efforts and help.

Could be a ground loop problem.
If you have a cable box disconnect the input to the box and see if the bars go away. When this happens it affects all the inputs even if the box is off.
Next start with nothing connected to the TV. If you don't see the problem then connect one cable at a time and see if the problem returns. If it does then you can try lifting the ac ground of that device with a 3 to 2 ground lifter.
If it happen with nothing connected to the TV try a different outlet on a different circuit breaker. If it still happens it is inside the TV.

Kodin

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014

I dont have a cable box, cut that cord last year, now all i do is stream content. I did think that it might have been a ground loop, so i went around un plugging everything in the house, thinking maybe there was some 60hrz eletromagnetic interference going on somewhere, but no luck, when there is nothing plugged into the tv, and there is just a black screen with the the no signal box moving around, i cant see it and the blackness looks perfect, but when i just plug in the laptop, it starts again. I only keep one thing plugged into the tv at a time as well (only one hdmi cable lol) so i either have the laptop or the ps3 plugged up, and it'll do the same thing on both. I do have it plugged into a surge protector that says its 60hrz as well, but i tried unplugging it from that and just into the wall and it still does it. Tried plugging it into other sockets as well. The only thing i havent tried yet is the 3 to 2 ground lifter thing you said, and i will try that later this week on pay day. I'll let you know if that works or not, any more suggestions in the mean time? If its inside the tv, will i have to replace the tv or do you think it can be fixed? If it can be fixed, would it be diy or repair shop?

Also, isnt using a cheater plug ( 3-2 ) very dangerous and couldnt that damage my tv?