Problems with 5.1 channel speaker system subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carsmaniac

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Hi,

I recently hooked up a 5.1 channel speaker system to my computer, and have been having problems with the subwoofer.

When testing the individual speakers in the sound section of control panel, the sub works, as does it when testing in my sound card's software, but I cannot get it to work for most programs.

The sub works with shockwave in my browser, but not with flash or any other part of any webpage. It also doesn't work for iTunes or any games.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

System Specs:
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX
Speakers: Soniq CSA50

(sorry if I posted this in the wrong category)

Solution
well,
you need to go to the speaker settings and enable bass redirection. also, you may want to set a crossover frequency /my fav setting is around 100-120Hz/.
and sometimes there is also a subwoofer gain option /which makes the bass more powerful/ - turn at your own discretion...

boju

Distinguished
Have you configured surround sound also in windows audio devices?

Programs and games will rely heavily on the settings made via windows and some may have options for changing sound devices as well but mainly windows.

Carsmaniac

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

If Control Panel>Sound>Speakers>Configure is what you mean, yes I have.

If not, where can I find this configuration screen?

boju

Distinguished
yea thats what i meant.

What programs aren't running 5.1?

Depending on the speaker set, the sub may only work programs run configured 5.1, changing to stereo or forcing the stereo option via speaker system itself may only work with sites like youtube where audio is recorded in stereo.

Did the speakers come with any controls?

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
well,
you need to go to the speaker settings and enable bass redirection. also, you may want to set a crossover frequency /my fav setting is around 100-120Hz/.
and sometimes there is also a subwoofer gain option /which makes the bass more powerful/ - turn at your own discretion...

Solution

Carsmaniac

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Thank you, it took some digging around in my settings to find the bass redirection, but once I found it it worked a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.