Problems with new sound card

banerossa

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Hi guys,

my friend bought sound card Asus Xonar Dg.
Before that he had integrated sound card, but with manually made extension
so he could attach optical cable to it. That wasn't the best option but everything worked.

He have Windows 7 operating system.
His computer specs:
Intel Pentium E2160, Dual Core, 1.80GHz
5 Gb RAM, 800Mhz, DDR2.
Optical cable goes from his new sound card to Yamaha amplifier.
And he have 5.1 speakers.

So this is the problem.
When he plays Blu ray concert from his external HD on VLC player, with DTS option checked everything plays perfect (he needed to mark SPdif option in VLC preferences).
Also amplifier shows that DTS in enabled.
But when he wants to listen same concert that is DVDrip or BRrip it causes sound stutter randomly.
The original files works great but rips are causing sound stuttering.

I noticed that when music is played with winamp or movies with BSplayer, Xonar
control panel is active. But when played DTS with VLC it doesn't go through Xonar control panel.

In one moment I uninstalled Codec pack that was installed on computer (it was K-Lite mega).
I thought that it was a codec problem. But it didn't solve the problem.
Also I wanted to try playing these concerts with other player.
He have Media player classic, but I don't know how to enable DTS in that player. It is checked in player but amplifier shows PLII?!

I am not really good at this area so I am not sure is it a system problem or maybe codecs or sound card.

Does anyone have experience with this?
And what would be ideal setting for these components. For card, system, codecs.

Thank you all in advance

Solution
Is this external device a hard drive or a Blu-ray/DVD disc player drive?

If the video has been transferred, by any means, from a physical Blu-ray Disc to a hard drive is has been in fact "ripped." The matter of the HDD being internal or external is irrelevant.

Do the audio and video both stutter? Please expand and clarify your statement:

When he plays Blu ray concert from his external HD on VLC player, with DTS option checked everything plays perfect (he needed to mark SPdif option in VLC preferences).
But when he wants to listen same concert that is DVDrip or BRrip it causes sound stutter randomly.

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Is this external device a hard drive or a Blu-ray/DVD disc player drive?

If the video has been transferred, by any means, from a physical Blu-ray Disc to a hard drive is has been in fact "ripped." The matter of the HDD being internal or external is irrelevant.

Do the audio and video both stutter? Please expand and clarify your statement:

Solution

banerossa

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
When I said blu ray disk I meant a folder with group of files transferred from original disk that are now on hard drive.
And rips are only as one file. It is direct copy of disk but made like one file. They also can be lighter if video is compressed.
Video on rips doesn't stutter, only sound.
These concerts have DTS sound option. It has to be enabled in player so you could have surround sound.
If not sound will be stereo.

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Have you confirmed these ripped files play on other systems without issue?

There could have been errors while encoding or an improper encode. Or even your machine cannot handle the decoding of a large video file and it's struggling. But that is usually accompanied by stuttering video.