Processor Choice for W540 Laptop

dark_matter8

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
I wanted some help regarding selecting the processor for W540.

I see the options available and I'm interested in 2 of them which are i7 4900MQ and i7 4930MX.

There is quite a price difference between the two but if the extreme cpu can offer more in the long run I'm up for it.

But I had a few concerns before making the choice.

I'm concerned about the temperature of the laptop if I choose the 4930MX it might be too high to handle since I'm not flexible with high temps, my current laptop which is a W530 idles at 45C and at full load can go upto 75C very rarely even after running 3 VMs.

Can anyone advice regarding the same and provide the temps for idle, normal workload and full load temperatures for 4930MX.

If the extreme processor is too hot to handle I can go with 4900MQ as well which has a lower TDP which in theory would run cooler.

I'm mostly concerned about the heat as I can't stand hot laptops.

Can anyone advice regarding the same and point to the best option between the two.

Not sure why you are that worried about the heat. You are not overclocking it and you are getting a stock system which means the cooling was designed for the CPU they offer with it. You're not getting a W series laptop to sit in your lap, so heat should not be an issue.

If you are worried about heat, you need to look at a lower end sytem with a low wattage CPU and cooling needs.