Professor Uses RPG-like Exp Rather Than Grades

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]konjiki7[/nom]Wow are things really this bad? at-least enough to where people need to get xp in order to find motivation?[/citation]

Well how would you motivate students? Blow Jobs? Hand Jobs? ...wait, that might not be a bad idea. Sign me up!!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]davendork[/nom]Behold my netbook of chemistry +2.[/citation]
LOL!

I wonder though: The XP gained in an RPG game is not really the goal, but it is only a means to an end, i.e., leveling up, increasing stats, new abilities, etc. In what way does the XP in the class aid the student other than "upping" their grade? Do they get access to better resources? Rights to cut in line? Longer deadlines for completing assignments? If there are no tangible benefits to higher XP, then simply increasing the grade is not enough to differentiate the XP system from any other "point system" that has been used in determining grades since the invention of the grade book. Just calling it "experience points" instead of "grade points" is a thin veil any real gamer would see through in an instant.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Kev. I remember when I read about this several hours ago on slashdot.[/citation]
That was mean... but funny :)

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I think the best way to gain experience in this class would be to hide in the forest and kill boars for +2 EXP each. then when we've leveled up enough we can take down the evil guy

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
When I glanced at the title I thought it said, "Professor Uses RPG-like Exp Rather Than Grenades." With me thinking of RPG as the Soviet RPG-7 and 'Exp' as explosive. I guess no more COD4 for a while now. :S

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Well how would you motivate students? Blow Jobs? Hand Jobs? ...wait, that might not be a bad idea. Sign me up!![/citation]

That is wrong on so many levels.... and I don't mean RPG levels, it's not like you get to level 30 and suddenly it isn't wrong anymore because you have gained the ability to make the "anti-aids potion"

Roflcopter time!

G

Any wonder why America's education system, rub by tree hugging hippy liberals, is declining? Any at all? If so, just read this nonsense.

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Education isn't meant to be fun. Because you're brain isn't actually "recording" anything when you're having fun. It's when you're stressed, when you're brain is 50 % working and memorizing everything.[/citation]

HAHAH! Have fun trying to get your grade schooler to do their work with that mentality! It has been proven over and over again that when something is entertaining to a person they pay more attention. Want proof? ask any 3rd grader about their favorite cartoon and be amazed at how much they can recall off the top of their head.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]So thats why I couldnt memorize plays for sports. Or remember that an elbow to the groin was a foul. I was having too much fun and not enough stress. You sir are an idiot. And the best part is, you wont be to stressed when reading this, so you wont remember anything I said.[/citation]

Well said, good sir.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]arrghushakaboorga[/nom]I think the best way to gain experience in this class would be to hide in the forest and kill boars for +2 EXP each. then when we've leveled up enough we can take down the evil guy[/citation]Showdown with the Evil Professor??[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]I wonder if you can pickup some Epic loot from completing a raid...[/citation]Depends on the classes of the other students. Some of them might be Ninjas, and will steal your Epic Lootz.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]marcusmurphy[/nom]Hey students. Want to pass class with no effort? I am selling XP Pots 4 all classes on my website here! Reach level 100 with no effort!![/citation]
Nice try, but some people check their links first. Try a tinybit or tinryurl next time boddy.
[citation][nom]darknight22[/nom]I wonder if you can pickup some Epic loot from completing a raid...[/citation]
Drunk blonde's panites of +2 creepyness.

Sounds interesting though.
I do like RPG's because if you work hard enough, you can get what you want, usually. Sadly, reality is nothing like that (people on unemployment insurance make almost as much as I do working my ass off in Canada). Though I was sad when they changed the PVP reward system in WoW (couple months before TBC), because it became really lame and crappy players were getting good gear.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I remember once I completed FF7 with the goal of seeing how LOW of a level I could complete it with... I think level 42 or something. It made the battle with Sephiroth like 4h long!!! :)

The only reason the teacher uses this system is to motivate students. Considering that the class is about game design, using an experience based system (or any game related system) is highly likely to generate positive results. This just a coverup to a traditional GPA based system, however, it would seem quite entertaining. Sadly, a teacher can not reach everyone. We had three like that in a class of fifteen.

I'll agree on the point that humans learn better when they enjoy the material presented. In addition, the desire to learn and general practice/review of the material doesnt hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.