Professor Uses RPG-like Exp Rather Than Grades

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]Did you ever wondered why children and even kitties are playful? Or you did not learn about this because you were stressed at the time?[/citation]
Well, maybe I shouldn't have said stressed, but excited. If something is just fun, you relax, therefore you don't learn a thing.

quigley0908

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Education isn't meant to be fun. Because you're brain isn't actually "recording" anything when you're having fun. It's when you're stressed, when you're brain is 50 % working and memorizing everything

And....may i add... actual studies show people remember more pleasent and "fun" things than they do stressful things. For example in most cases people only remember good things about their childhood. Unless it's tramatic, enjoyable "fun", or gone over 3 times or more, it is unlikely for someone to remember the event in most cases. Just logistically that is very unlikely what you are saying.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]quigley0908[/nom]And....may i add... actual studies show people remember more pleasent and "fun" things than they do stressful things. For example in most cases people only remember good things about their childhood. Unless it's tramatic, enjoyable "fun", or gone over 3 times or more, it is unlikely for someone to remember the event in most cases. Just logistically that is very unlikely what you are saying.[/citation]
The only events of my childhood are almost all unpleasant. =D

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]XP Are you kidding[/nom]Any wonder why America's education system, rub by tree hugging hippy liberals, is declining? Any at all? If so, just read this nonsense.[/citation]

You make me cry and laugh at the same time. Did you know that in Germany teachers are looked down upon as low-class citizens? This is mainly due to the fact that in Germany, education is done by reading textbooks. This makes school tedious, and not fun, so Germans end up resenting school and teachers. The European Schools in the EU are just cliques of the different countries, with students and teachers. Every school system has its problems, but using XP for a game design class is not a problem. Could you at least attempt to describe how this is bad, instead of just sounding anti-American?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I really like this idea and think other teachers should be encouraged to adopt this method. I think I would have taken to it quite well. It would allow me to compete with my classmates. Just like being able to show off your level 99 character in whatever RPG.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Well, maybe I shouldn't have said stressed, but excited. If something is just fun, you relax, therefore you don't learn a thing.[/citation]
You have really strange definition of fun then. For you it looks the most fun thing to do is the most boring thing to do, or something like sleeping.
No, sir, fun is EXCITEMENT!

kanaric

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Guy is a former game designer and writer for Star Trek TNG and teaches classes to do with film and gaming apparently. So its fitting.

G

For more information about Sheldon’s game design classes and using games to teach please visit his blog at:
gamingtheclassroom.wordpress.com

Status
Not open for further replies.