Program to assign audio devices for programs :/

7h3w1z4rd

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
I am in bad need of a program(and/or software) that tells different programs what audio device to play through. I can't seem to find anything that works.

Solution
Sort of the same....

If I wish to listen to online music I can either use my speakers or plug in a set of headphones. If I wish to use speakers when I listen to CD's then I must set the Audio Playback device to my speakers. To use headphones I must either change the audio Playback device to a different audio port or plug into the headphone port on the speaker.

If you use Program A and want Audio Device A to be used then the first option would normally be some default setting in Program A configuring/assigning the use of Audio Device A.

Likewise for Program B and Audio Device B. The assignment would be via the program default or configuration settings, if any, in the respective programs. E.g., headphones versus speakers. But...
Powershell might be viable.

Please provide more information: e.g., what programs, what audio devices are available etc..

How many choices or selections are needed?

Your script would have to determine what programs/processes were running and then based on that information select and start the necessary audio processes.

Automating all that could be cumbersome.

First figure out how to determine what program is running.

Then use that information via some if-then logic to start the necessary audio device drivers along with the necessary parameters.

Or somehow manipulate the settings and properties within Playback devices.....

Focus on a very simple situation and then expand as you understand Powershell more.

Full disclosure: I am working on Powershell myself as circumstances permit. However, your requirements would considerably press my current skill level. Take a look at Powershell to see if it might meet your needs. And perhaps someone with more Powershell experience can offer some additional suggestions and guidence.

7h3w1z4rd

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

I don't see how powershell would help me switch audio device for programs. I don't want to switch audio device when i use different programs, I want to ASSIGN a program to a audio output.

Sort of the same....

If I wish to listen to online music I can either use my speakers or plug in a set of headphones. If I wish to use speakers when I listen to CD's then I must set the Audio Playback device to my speakers. To use headphones I must either change the audio Playback device to a different audio port or plug into the headphone port on the speaker.

If you use Program A and want Audio Device A to be used then the first option would normally be some default setting in Program A configuring/assigning the use of Audio Device A.

Likewise for Program B and Audio Device B. The assignment would be via the program default or configuration settings, if any, in the respective programs. E.g., headphones versus speakers. But that even requires that the default settings are configurable to the point that the headphones are on one audio output port (USB maybe) and that the speakers are on a different port; 3.5 mm (1/8").

Basically there has to be some logic that identifies the program being run in order to send audio output to the required/desired audio device/port.

Logic: Is Program A running? IF yes THEN use Audio Device A. Likewise for Program B, Program C, and so on. ELSE may help in situations where if Program A is not running then Program B would be running. ELSE Audio device B.

Powershell can handle some of the logic but I am not sure about how well, if at all, it would handle the necessary audio device assignments. Could require registry edits - very messy and risky. Could change with any program updates as well......

Setting Powershell aside:

Are you able to provide some specific details about your requirements? What programs, what audio devices, what connections, etc. are being used? That information will be helpful towards understanding the overall problem(s) which may lead to other possible suggestions and options.

Solution

7h3w1z4rd

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

I have already tried chevolume, IT DOESN'T WORK. When i switch a sound to a different output it doesn't work until i change my default device to that device and back. And as audiorouter is bugged out now for windows 10, i don't have any more clues.