Project Fi Showdown: Splurge on the Pixel 2 or Save on the Moto X4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjlabe

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
The Moto X4 has terrible (unusable) reception. It has problems with SD cards where it constantly skips songs. It also has trouble with most USB cables with Android Auto crashing constantly. I had to return it.

nateoceanside

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Is it loaded with Google bloatware? My current phone is virtually unusable as every update contains larger and larger versions of Google's mandatory aps (that cannot be deleted). The few aps that I chose to install have all been crowded out. What's the point of having a large SD card when Google's bloatware is so poorly written that they can't use it?

hopkinsph

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Another difference: The Moto x4 supports the hardware manufacturer's integrated FM radio chip while the Pixel 2 does not. LG routinely clips the antenna leads from their phones, and the lack of a wired headset port in the Pixel 2 means antenna attenuation goes away regardless. Owners of Project Fi Nexus phones, also made by LG, have had to use data or wifi to stream radio stations even with wired headsets attached. This may seem like a no-big-deal issue for those on unlimited data plans offered by other wireless services, but Project Fi doesn't offer an unlimited data plan...you pay for what data you stream other than for wifi. Gee, thanks LG!

nateoceanside

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Is it loaded with Google bloatware? My current phone is virtually unusable as every update contains larger and larger versions of Google's mandatory aps (that cannot be deleted). The few aps that that I chose to install myself have all been crowded out. What's the point of having a large SD card when Google bloatware is so poorly written that they can't use it?

robertsfutch

Estimable
Nov 12, 2017
Don't forget the X4 is is IP68. Practically waterproof. The Pixel just doesn't have enough to justify the price tag. Especially if it forces me to buy new Bluetooth headphones or adapters.

stubarrett

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
I have never understood how a slippery, metal case is considered "premium". The easier to hold composite cases are much easier to hold. If you get a phone with a metal case, you have to get a case (i.e. condom) so it will not slip out of hand or pocket.

spacecamel

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
I think the "Amazon" version of the Moto X4 will work on Project Fi according to many people on Reddit and as listed on the Amazon sales page.

Status
Not open for further replies.