Proposed 55-foot Paper Boat Can Hit the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Looks cool, but like most concept yachts (and many yachts in general) it raises the question: why on earth would I want one? Okay, it looks great, but other than that there is nothing else going for it...

alert101

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I'm getting tired of these concept-art "newsflashes". These things will only appear on paper, and if someone ever built a prototype, it would sink. However, if someone did actually build one of these, then I would be more interested.

/bored

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
"Clearly this life-sized paper boat can't support multi-day expeditions with its 55-foot length, but it should be perfect for a casual swim."

Um, there are countless people who "sea-stead" on 40' vessels out there. That's months at a time, out at sea. I used to live aboard on a 30' sloop comfortably as a bachelor sailor. A 55-foot vessel would be the boat equivalent of a 3 bedroom condo, and could probably do weeks at sea. Might wanna do a smidgen of research on boats before posting erroneous statements, journalist.

rebb

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
The scale seems a bit odd in the photos. If its 55' feet then why is their only room for that one dining area? 55' should buy me at least a galley, a head, and a couple of sleeping quarters.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]Surely it will sink if it's made of paper[/citation]
No, not if the paper is heavy and thick enough with a marine grade epoxy coating to prevent the paper turning in to pulp.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Cool design, but just like the "star destroyer" yacht, if you were to place one of these on the water and lower one of those so called "lounge sides" or swimming decks, the boat would probably sink. or tip over from a simple wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS