PS Vita Has Already Sold 600,000 Units in Western Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"As of February 19, only 578,812 PlayStation Vita units had been sold in Japan -- only 12,309 units were sold in the current week and 13,939 units in the previous week. Yet if the overall number of units surpassed 1.2 million, then around 600,000 units have flown across retail shelves in the other territories in less than a week."

... aren't you forgetting about Hong Kong, Taiwan, and South Korea? You mentioned in just the previous paragraph that it launched in those areas shortly after Japan.

G

I will definitely pick this up... as long as it has something akin to an Acekard 2i

:3

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
It felt really cheap when I tried the demo at the store. I wasn't impressed by the graphics, when Uncharted was full of jaggies. I guess it doesn't do anti-aliasing. Too bad... But I might get it once the prices go down to $100.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
yeah i was messing with it at best buy the other day and i really don't see how some people are saying this is very close to ps3 graphics when it isn't, more like slighty better ps2 graphics. Uncharted didn't look anything close to what it looks like on the ps3. Everything round was really jagged.

funnix

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The 1.2 million sales figure (600,000 in Western markets) is impressive, given the barrage of negative press (most of it Stateside) in the run-up to launch. Much of this press centered around the idea that a handheld console could not survive in a smartphone gaming world, placing doubts in prospective buyers about future product support. Yet, with just 25 game titles, fewer at the Japanese launch, 1.2 million consumers have shown that they still want physical controls (joysticks, keypads), a huge touchscreen, and console gaming quality. Just think what will happen when PS Vita's software library approaches anything close to PSP's (around 700 titles). When Sony cuts the price strategically, something it'll be able to do after collecting royalties from Vita games, the thing will fly off shelves. Yeah, people don't need it like they need a phone, but that's not the market Sony's after. Heck, few people really need a tablet when they have a laptop and a phone, yet people still buy tablets (even Android ones). And unlike tablets, the Vita doesn't really have any competitors.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i love how the launch lineup for the psv and the 3ds is completely disguarded like that wasn't the reason it sold like crap when the 3ds launched.

vita, several big hitting titles at launch... if you like the genres and 1 system seller.
3ds... 1 barely worth it fighting game that was out for 2 years on the 360 and ps3, a 4-6 month wait for 1 system selling game, and along the way to the system selling game... absolutely nothing of value.

i mean seriously, do you just dis reguard games as mattering at all when you say all of this?

funnix

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]funnix[/nom]The 1.2 million sales figure (600,000 in Western markets) is impressive, given the barrage of negative press (most of it Stateside) in the run-up to launch. Much of this press centered around the idea that a handheld console could not survive in a smartphone gaming world, placing doubts in prospective buyers about future product support. Yet, with just 25 game titles, fewer at the Japanese launch, 1.2 million consumers have shown that they still want physical controls (joysticks, keypads), a huge touchscreen, and console gaming quality. Just think what will happen when PS Vita's software library approaches anything close to PSP's (around 700 titles). When Sony cuts the price strategically, something it'll be able to do after collecting royalties from Vita games, the thing will fly off shelves. Yeah, people don't need it like they need a phone, but that's not the market Sony's after. Heck, few people really need a tablet when they have a laptop and a phone, yet people still buy tablets (even Android ones). And unlike tablets, the Vita doesn't really have any competitors.[/citation]

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
If they want to sell gangbusters then they need to develop a first/third person shooter for the platform which plays to the advantage of a dual stick that other handhelds lack.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]It felt really cheap when I tried the demo at the store. I wasn't impressed by the graphics, when Uncharted was full of jaggies. I guess it doesn't do anti-aliasing. Too bad... But I might get it once the prices go down to $100.[/citation]
Are you just unfamiliar with mobile graphics? Because that's just about as good as it gets right now.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I tried out kingdom hearts on the vita they had at best buys and the loading times were horrible. Every zone change took a minute of loading. But the graphics are pretty nice. Also the dual joysticks seems too slip from my thumbs when moving quickly.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Japan is in a stagnant economy and life is really hard for the young people that this console targets, hence the lower than expected sales after the second week. Young people are comparatively better off in North America and Europe it seems (at least from perception) and so I think Sony is pinning its hope on the world market.

Status
Not open for further replies.