PS4 Controllers Will Work with Windows — Does It Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
In currently using a Logitech F350 because it was the closest controller to a PlayStation's, depending on valve's new controller I might pick one up just for my PC.

G

Cool always glad to see more options for controllers for PC

Akizu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Who cares about basic functionality? Even if Sony wouldn't release a driver for Dualshock4 someone else would make some basic one just to get sticks and buttons working... It just needs a simple generic driver maybe with some adjustments... Nothing fancy about it.

If they were to release a driver that would support accelerometer, force feedback and maybe touch panel too that would be awesome but I doubt it will happen.

paradigital

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Weaned on console hits like Call of Duty? The PC was playing Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, and Call of Duty 2 before most of today's generation of "gamers" were out of diapers.

Ryan Klug

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Good to have some AAA controllers for the PC. It would be good to see Tom's review PC controllers. They can start with the ridiculously short range of the "wireless" Logitech F710. I get about 2-3 feet. Plus its goofy analog sticks aren't worth diddly in Dirt 3, among other games.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i currently use my ps3 controller with DS3 tool to emulate an xbox 360 controller to play my games(well, the ones best played with controllers). was never really interested in another controller since the ps3 controller worked fine. if it ever breaks after ps4 is out, Ill probably just get another ps3 controller since I still use my ps3 alot as a media center. so, it doesnt really matter for me right now.

but it IS a nice option to have. Ive heard of pc controllers being anywhere from great to total ass at any price.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I only want DS4 for its touchpad. But since steam has controller, an owlpad, then i decided to wait for the official launch of owlpad, then get for it. I excited more for the owlpad.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Well if it works on a Bluetooth connection .. ftmfw! I've been mulling on buying a ps4 and this only helps me make the decision of yes.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
As someone who has preferred the PS controllers over the Xbox controllers, this is a nice bit of news, so I will say it matters. It's nothing huge or groundbreaking, but it does matter.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
although its a welcome addition it doesnt really matter. games for windows live deliberately scuppers any controller that isnt a 360 pad by reversing the sticks and in some games wont allow you to reverse them back... ala mirrors edge and wheelman.
i preferred the dual shock design over the 360 pad when i came back to pc gaming in 2007 but have since adapted to mouse and keyboard for most games. so while its a pleasant surprise that it now exists its mostly irrelevant if you already have a 360 pad or something like the logitech dual action... (still have my LDA and its still purfect even though its 7 years old)

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

It's not GFWL or Microsoft. What it is, is D and X input. X input is basically the 360 controllers method of input to the system. D input is another method that is used which is what I believe the PS3 controller uses which is why games that support only X input require third party software to work with a PS3 or some older controllers.

Since most games start on the consoles, and all but a few are on the 360, they normally use X input on the PC since its an easy transition and means any 360 or X input compatible controller (i.e. the Logitech F310 or F710) will work with them.

As well those same controllers will work with games designed around the D input scheme, which is normally much older games.

Add to this that drivers for the 360 are already built into Windows and its even easier.

So unless the PS4 controller supports both, I don't see how it will beat other offerings that do. Same with VALVe new controller, although since it says it will support a lot of games on launch I bet it will support D/X input.

Ryan Klug, you have to remember that it, like most every other wireless device (and some not so wireless like microwaves) use the 2.4GHz band. That means tons of interference. Honestly I wouldn't mind a RF based F710 or BT or maybe even one that pushes into the 5GHz band instead for less interference as my S4 has wireless AC and gets better signal than my Droid Razr Maxx on the 2.4GHz band from the same distance.

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
"If the DualShock 4 resembles the DualShock, DualShock 2 and DualShock 3 in feel and responsiveness, it will be a good controller."

No, if it resembles previous Playstation controllers it will continue to be the major reason a lot of folks refuse to buy a Playstation. It's fucking terrible.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm happy with my xbox 360 controller and wireless adapter because it has just the right size and shape for me. I tried helping my wife play GTA V a few days ago and realized how uncomfortable the PS3 controller is. Those L2 and R2 triggers with the protruding levers are very uncomfortable to hold down for extended periods, I guess because I have large hands coupled with the shape of those levers and size of the controller. The sticks also feel to be a bit higher than those of the PS2, which was just right. The PS4 seems to also have those huge R2/L2 triggers as well, so I'll have to pass.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well yeah, maybe they release PS4 games that were initially exclusive for the PC and not for the Xbone. For that, it'll be good. It'll also be good for all those that prefer a PS controller over an Xbox controller. What's the issue here?

Status
Not open for further replies.