PS4 vs. Xbox One: Which Console Wins?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
GDDR5 may in fact be able to hold and output pretty pictures faster than DDR3... but when it comes to running the actual game and pushing that image data from the cpu cores to the gpu cores...

With any kind of computer know how, anyone should be able to see that the Xbox is a superior machine.

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
GDDR5 may in fact be able to hold and output pretty pictures faster than DDR3... but when it comes to running the actual game and pushing that image data from the cpu cores to the gpu cores...

With any kind of computer know how, anyone should be able to see that the Xbox is a superior machine.

Brian Ghattas

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I can say this: I don't want a Spycam in my house, nor do I want a gimped entertainment box when I can get it all on my PC. Only horny teenage boys who want to expose themselves and people like Sherri L. Smith will pay $499 for it. Anybody with brains will go with the PC/PS4 combo. Sherri is being paid off by Microsoft and all the downvotes are from angry Xbots who can't take it that they aren't Microsoft's focus any longer.

Juan Carlos Munoz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
This is bullshit!! I am a exbox fan and although the systems are both great the ps4 has a upper hand. Why should I have a camera that's not responsive? Look, how much is Microsoft is paying you to write a bunch of nonesence? At least you could had made the ps4 alittle more competitive. Graphics the ps4 is superior then the xbox. Y give it a draw? I call it how it is!! Ps4 is gonna spank xbox this generation!!!

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Memory Bandwidth is not a issue. The Xbox One has the Same and even a little more total video card memory bandwidth due to the use of 32MB ESRAM on DIE (106Gbps) + Regular DDR3 Bandwidth of (75Gbps) =181 Gbps total bandwidth vs 175 Gbps of the PS4's GDDR5.

Again, Memory Bandwidth is not a problem or a issue, they are the same. Even Anandtech has edited their previews and reviews stating that they are the same.

As far as Raw shader performance, yes the PS4 has more GPU Cores but the Xbox One runs at higher clocks (100 mhz more on all 8 cpu cores, and another 75mhz on the GPU side vs the PS4. This negates about half of the difference in shader, the other half is the performance advantage the PS4 has, which is around 10% total.

This Delta is being exposed in Launch titles by resolution differences. Once developers learn how to fully saturate the 32MB ESRAM on the Xbox One, the difference will only shrink.

Nigel Rayner

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Article feels very one sided, how can the performance be equal when PS4 is far more powerful from a hardware perspective. Also TV integration is pointless point in UK for XBone as it does not support our technology or services, and unless they come to some agreement with the companies it never will.

dream2100

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Xbox one for me. You ps4 fans its ok. sony lies all the time about how much power they system have. but xbox one will come out on top there's not one game on the ps4 that can come close to xbox one games. And the ps4 had a 6 month jump before the xbox was even talk about.

MGW

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
The phrase is "For all intents and purposes" not "For all intensive purposes". Is there no editors for this site?

MarkTheSpark

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
How are graphics a draw when most PS4 games run at twice the pixel output of the Xbox One? Also, the Xbox UI is sluggish, hard to navigate, and already cluttered compared to the PS4's lean and mean UI. I don't get how anyone could claim the Xbox One is speedier in that regard.

jerjef

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Look this is all panning out to be the exact argument circa 2007 between the 360 and PS3. On paper the PS3 was better then as well, but the games were again too similar to call until 5-6 years after launch when the full capabilities were realized for both. For me, I've never found resolution to be a big deal for me. Some of my favourite games on the 360 were no where near 1080, or even 720, but it didn't matter to me because the game was fun. I still haven't made a decision on which one I will go with, but as always it will likely come down to exclusives as it looks like multiplatform games are going to be too close to call.

pit_1209

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Really liked the article, don´t get what is the problem with it, in fact if it wasn´t for the better launch titles of the xbox one it would be a draw but on the other categories that´s the way the things are.

jerjef

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Look this is all panning out to be the exact argument circa 2007 between the 360 and PS3. On paper the PS3 was better then as well, but the games were again too similar to call until 5-6 years after launch when the full capabilities were realized for both. For me, I've never found resolution to be a big deal for me. Some of my favourite games on the 360 were no where near 1080, or even 720, but it didn't matter to me because the game was fun. I still haven't made a decision on which one I will go with, but as always it will likely come down to exclusives as it looks like multiplatform games are going to be too close to call.

jerjef

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Come on you can't accuse everyone who has an opposing opinion to yours as being paid off by MS. Just because a site preferred the Xbox One over the PS4 doesn't mean anything besides the fact that they simply liked one a little bit more the other. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion, that's the way the world works. Like I mentioned previous with the last gen, the PS3 on paper was the more powerful machine, but it didn't matter to the average user. Unless you have both side by side, you will not notice the difference. It all boils down to other things like exclusives, UI, online experience....really the whole package. If graphics was the only thing that mattered, we'd all be playing on gaming PCs, and consoles would never sell. It's not like they trashed the PS4, and seriously, how does this one review affect you in any way, shape or form? Will Sony send you a check for every positive review? Go buy what you want and be happy.

f00man

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Without going into details...the first paragraph details the whole agenda of this "comparison"...an American vs a Japanese product. Sadly enough, you failed to keep an objective point of view, thus discrediting your argument. Both consoles are great, the PS4 being a superior gaming console (UI, controller, design, etc.).

Ahmed Salam

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
WTF ..... this is a completely unfair comparison specially in performance point and video capture point ... In performance the ps4 is the completely winner with more resolution in the most launch titles like assassin's creed 4 and cod ghosts and battlefield 4 etc... In video capture point, how you dare to compare device present to me all capture and share options like share to Facebook and stream to twich ..... Fuck you editor

dimasok

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
1. As was already mentioned, the GPU differences are not mentioned. PS4 is simply speedier and thats a fact confirmed by spec sheet and developers.

2. As an owner of both, I find the DS4 FAR more comfortable and better than the Xbone controller.

3. PSPlus simply EATS Live Gold for breakfast. Day one free games, no paywalls for services (hell, you even need one for Skype for christs sake!), etc.

4. PS4 interface is speedier and much more visually appealing than XBone interface and there is no clutter or voice control navigation that is almost MANDATORY on Xbone where finding anything is a herculean task.

5. Install times are MUCH faster on PS4 than Xbone (read Digita Foundry analysis of this to confirm).

So overall, PS4 should have won although both consoles are good.

dimasok

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
1. As was already mentioned, the GPU differences are not mentioned. PS4 is simply speedier and thats a fact confirmed by spec sheet and developers.

2. As an owner of both, I find the DS4 FAR more comfortable and better than the Xbone controller.

3. PSPlus simply EATS Live Gold for breakfast. Day one free games, no paywalls for services (hell, you even need one for Skype for christs sake!), etc.

4. PS4 interface is speedier and much more visually appealing than XBone interface and there is no clutter or voice control navigation that is almost MANDATORY on Xbone where finding anything is a herculean task.

5. Install times are MUCH faster on PS4 than Xbone (read Digita Foundry analysis of this to confirm).

So overall, PS4 should have won although both consoles are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.