PS4 vs. Xbox One: Which Console Wins?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blight0r

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
It's pretty galling to have someone like Sherri reviewing these consoles.

The only reviews related to gaming I've seen from here (apart from the last few days with xbox and ps consoles) is a review of the halo game for phones.

Seriously, TOM you are getting a NOOB to review the biggest product launches in a number of years, with a rating system that considers exterior design, video capture, entertainment apps, 2nd screen ect. on an equal to performance, controller design, and value. That's a joke - going off the review here you could quite easily see the Wii U as being a winner by a huge margin with the weighting, or lack of, in this TOMs review.

Please get a reviewer that has some cred, with a review system that actually has some kind of basis in the desire of the majority early adopters. (I say this last point because you are reviewing this as a point in time, like the games on release, and therefore reviewing it for the poeple that plan on buying it right now - otherwise you would need to exclude that from the review too).

victorcomp

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
All the reviewers compared and used both controllers prefer PS4's new controller. Sure looks like a paid job. I am really surprised when you said both consoles have the same GPU power. What do you think, all your readers so innocent that you can feed them anything? Going by the survey most of the gamers doesn't care a thing about TV integration and Kinect. Tom's hardware reputation has went down with this article. I am disappointed.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Coming from a pretty hardcore PC-gaming background, I've been pretty impressed with the Xbox One. I still won't play a first-person shooter on it until they offer keyboard and mouse support, but other types of games are fun on it. Played through Ryse twice. Great game. Cool story line. I'm playing multiplayer Ryse when I get small chunks of time now.

NBA 2K14 is cool. Dead Rising 3 a blast.

All definitely next-gen gaming graphics, but I'm coming from a gaming PC with 2 GTX 780s in SLI so my expectations are realistic. Everyone who creates an account on the Xbox One can have their own save game for games. You can switch active profiles on the fly. You can download every available game if you can't find it in stores (but unfortunately, you can't resell a downloaded game).

The voice integration is great. You can use your voice to navigate your way through nearly everything. The smart features + blu-ray are a bonus. Skyping relatives with the whole family relaxing on the couch rather than all of us crowding over an iPad or laptop camera can't be beat.

The cable TV integration with the OneGuide is pretty cool, but they still need to integrate more DVR functionality into the OneGuide for the Xbox One to offer total independence from the cable boxes controls. From what I understand, these updates will be added soon. Other than that, the system learns your station preferences and automatically builds you a favorites list. You can navigate the entire guide with voice commands. If I want to watch ESPN, I just say 'Xbox Watch ESPN'. If you have an HD version of a channel available, the Xbox One prioritizes by HD first. So when I say 'Xbox Watch ESPN', I know it will go to ESPN HD.

You are able to snap an application to the side of the screen while you are watching TV playing a game, or using other apps. One of the ways this comes in handy is you are able to look something up on the internet while watching TV or a movie all on the same screen.

The Xbox One already integrates with my Logitech Harmony remote out of the box. I just had to add the device and adjust my activities.

The Xbox Live service can't be beat when it comes to player matching, reliability and apparently, even security since Sony's put out yet another 'Suspicious activity' statement to all PSN and Sony Online gaming users.

Microsoft is definitely off to a great start with this product. I haven't spent a whole lot of time playing BF4 on my PC since I picked up my Xbox.

My 2 cents:

GRAPHICS:
Better on the PS4. Games for XB1 will have more ALIASED (jagged edges) lines as well as lower quality textures (slightly). It's the aliasing issue that is the huge problem for me and it will be common as lowering the rendered resolution is the easiest way to compensate for the GPU difference.

MEMORY:
The eSRAM buffer may increase the memory performance, but remember it's a BUFFER. That means if it empties you get stutter. Programmers are much happier to avoid it entirely on the PS4. Will it be an issue? At times, I believe it will be.

MY CHOICE:
I'm used to the XBox controller, and gaming is my focus. All the XB1 had to do was be NEAR the PS4 in terms of performance. The ALIASING/resolution issue is a non-starter for me.

So I'm getting the PS4 for the living room but have a great PC gaming machine that I'll use mostly. i7-3770K, GTX680, 2560x1440 monitor

*BOTH MACHINES are really great. There is no single "winner" and no "loser" just a choice. Games quality will improve a lot. I just hope they focus on 60FPS (50FPS PAL) and anti-aliasing rather than pushing HD textures, and other graphical features. No more of Crysis dropping to 20FPS please.

Garrett Delgatto

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
It's funny how you all sit here and argue about what system is better, or how much Microsoft paid for this add. In actual facts the systems are pretty much the same. Now if you wanted the best on the market the systems would cost well over 1,000 dollars. And with the technology and all the rights that Microsoft owns it wouldn't even be a battle who could potentially produce the best counsel on the market. This review is non-biest and in my opinion very true. Buy what you like and stop separating america!!

Darkblue006

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
pity this site took a pay day from xbox .. oh well I had hopes it would have something of use.. too many draws .. too many.. then again which had more broken consoles sold at release.. that would be new... oh snap..

Pukar Rana

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I love how we are in a tech site, and when it comes to Performance, they don't say how much faster the PS4 GPU is than compared to the Xbox One. They don't even mention the fact that, although both are AMD based processors, they are heavily modified by Sony and MS for their respective consoles. The PS4 has a more powerful GPU compared to the AMD processor on Xbox One. Not to mention the benefits it is to have GDDR5 memory, compared to the DDR3+32mb ESRAM which developers are saying is a pain to develop for. Also the clock speeds of the processors were never officially revealed, just rumored. Please show me, how you the method you did to come to the conclusion of the two processor speeds.

Hell, even IGN did a better job. This article was written clearly in the favor of one console over the other. You can dislike this if you want, but it doesn't change the fact.

Pukar Rana

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I love how we are in a tech site, and when it comes to Performance, they don't say how much faster the PS4 GPU is than compared to the Xbox One. They don't even mention the fact that, although both are AMD based processors, they are heavily modified by Sony and MS for their respective consoles. The PS4 has a more powerful GPU compared to the AMD processor on Xbox One. Not to mention the benefits it is to have GDDR5 memory, compared to the DDR3+32mb ESRAM which developers are saying is a pain to develop for. Also the clock speeds of the processors were never officially revealed, just rumored. Please show me, how you the method you did to come to the conclusion of the two processor speeds.

Hell, even IGN did a better job. This article was written clearly in the favor of one console over the other. You can dislike this if you want, but it doesn't change the fact.

Thestigfan

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
just because IGN is big doesn't mean they won't lie! Anyway xbox one is a sky box you see. PS4 is better because of it's graphics and its hard drive. And even still PS3 had better graphics then the 360 PS could reach 1080P and xbox360 and one can only do 720P. Wait I forgot. The kinect thingy costs as much to make as the console itself LOL! You see PS4 will always beat microsoft Sony for the win!

G

Not a very well researched article.From Wikipedia:XB1 GPU - AMD GCN with 12 compute units, (768 cores) at 1.31 TFLOPS.PS4 GPU - AMD GCN with 18 compute units, (1152 cores) at 1.84 TFLOPSFor comparison a $100* Radeon HD 7770 GE has 1.4 TFLOPS of power (single precision), and a $170* Radeon HD 7850 has 1.76 TFLOPS. The minor speed advantage that the XB1 CPU has, is (as any techie worth his salt would know) inconsequential for a graphics workload. C'mon people, this is Tom's Hardware, not IGN - let's stick with the numbers and leave the console wars for the kiddies.BTW I don't own either one of the consoles, neither am I planning to ever buy one, ever. Being a PC gamer/techie my only interest in these boxes is because of their x86 architecture, and what it means for PC gaming.*release price

G

Not a very well researched article.From Wikipedia:XB1 GPU - AMD GCN with 12 compute units, (768 cores) at 1.31 TFLOPS.PS4 GPU - AMD GCN with 18 compute units, (1152 cores) at 1.84 TFLOPSFor comparison a $100* Radeon HD 7770 GE has 1.4 TFLOPS of power (single precision), and a $170* Radeon HD 7850 has 1.76 TFLOPS. The minor speed advantage that the XB1 CPU has, is (as any techie worth his salt would know) inconsequential for a graphics workload. C'mon people, this is Tom's Hardware, not IGN - let's stick with the numbers and leave the console wars for the kiddies.BTW I don't own either one of the consoles, neither am I planning to ever buy one, ever. Being a PC gamer/techie my only interest in these boxes is because of their x86 architecture, and what it means for PC gaming.*release price

Status
Not open for further replies.