News PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which console wins?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2022
Wow what a let down. Can we get a non-Sony fanboy to write a comparison article please? Some of us are actually interested and aren’t just fanboys. You literally refused to score sections or found a way to “tie” them when it sounded like the Series X was better in your analysis. It became super clear rather immediately what the choice would be at the end due to your obvious bias. I mean, I’m getting both of them, but would still like more of a data-based comparison please. Preferably not written by a Sony (or Xbox) shill thanks.

logically speaking it sounds like you can get all the XBOX titles on PC so whats the point of getting an XBOX if you have a nice PC.
might as well get the PS5.

Sep 19, 2022
I am curious as to how he came to the conclusion that the PS5 has better exclusives. I have my PS5 sitting dormant since finishing up Miles Morales.
Would you say that to this day?
I played a few titles and I am sure there isn't a single game on xbox that could compete with the following games in their genre:
Gran Turismo Sport
Gran Turismo 7
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon: Forbidden West
I don't generally play FPS, cause it's really not something that can be handled with a controller.
Maybe the above games are not your type. Idk what games xbox has to offer that even allows it to be mentioned alongside PS5, and I'm really disappointed how Microsoft is letting all that power down the drain.

There are a few more hyped titles on PS5, but I didn't get the opportunity to try them.

Sep 19, 2022
PS5 vs Xbox Series X: Verdict
PS5Xbox Series X
Price (10)88
Games (20)1815
Performance (15)1312
Controller (10)77
Backwards compatibility (10)79
Cloud gaming (5)33
Total (70)5654

If you remove the Design rankings from the overall breakdown, the PS5 wins 56 to 54. The PS5's edge here is primarily due to its 3-point lead in the "games" category and its 1-point lead in the "performance" category.
I believe the article is heavily biased because of the following reasons:
I don't believe a consumer that has a limited budget and can only choose one of the 2 consoles would give equal consideration to budget and looks. (Come on man, 10 for the budget would suggest 2 for design, nothing more). Additionally, the design is what makes the PS5 look cool. The dual-tone, futuristic look of PS5 is way cooler than an old school cuboid.
Secondly, I don't understand what xbox has to offer to get it 15 points for its games library. You got everything on xbox, but PS5 has it better, with a night and day comparison. An 18 for PS5 is understandable, but that only means that xbox deserves a 10 at the VERY BEST.
Lastly, the reason I did not ever get any xbox was because the standards of the controller couldn't compete with the PS counterpart. Out of 10, 8 parts of user experience comes from the display/sound and the rest is played by controller, and with the experience I had with it on xbox 360 directly disqualified series X from consideration. According to me, I'd rate the controllers 9 for PS5 and 6 for series X. (I tried series X at my friend's place and yeah, I still did not like the newer controller)

Feb 2, 2023
Play Station 5 is way better then Xbox PS5 is cheaper They raised the price of Xbox as well 3.8 GHz &12.0 teraflop just a few points difference that is only for operating system! both Systems can go up to 8K Resolution PS5 it is faster. Thay are both close spec wise depending on game but with Xbox Series S it is a big drawback compared to the X I'd say a lot of people are mad about Xbox buys Activision Blizzard everybody is thinking just Call of Duty is the issue it is not just that Sony & Activision works together on different titles like Sony did buy Bungie Destiny 2 Activision is part of as well its ok if Activision Blizzard is owned by XBOX they should not take away titles of games just to make it exclusive but I can see Activision Blizzard can make new IPs exclusive to Xbox but I'd say why it's going to make money regardless of platform i would say Xbox started the Whole Cross play idea to get it more out there. Sony is better they are putting handy cap controller's and Pro and the PSVR2 and PS5 Pro well be coming and Slim and TV / Movies of Game like HBO The Last of US. Microsoft is being SUED by Gamers and FTC and Nvidia and Sony and Google and it's not just the Activision Blizzard deal constituting a market monopoly like making it harder/ difficult for users to install competing software and simultaneously making it difficult to uninstall I'd say because of windows 11 plus Microsoft lays off 10,000 workers I'd say that's bad.

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
Look, I want to know why the Dualsense and the Xbox controller have the same rating. The Dualsense haptic feedback feels very, very great. Wasted space? WASTED SPACE? the touchpad are essential for particular games and make typing easier. In Miles Morales u can swipe left and right to pull up the phone. The DualSense should've been rated higher
I'm pretty sure they only held the controllers and pressed random buttons without a console connected, both of them feel the same if that's what they did and really the elite controller doesn't feel too different from the ps5 controller other than the joy sticks being right next to eachother which can be uncomfortable to many people.

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
Play Station 5 is way better then Xbox PS5 is cheaper They raised the price of Xbox as well 3.8 GHz &12.0 teraflop just a few points difference that is only for operating system! both Systems can go up to 8K Resolution PS5 it is faster. Thay are both close spec wise depending on game but with Xbox Series S it is a big drawback compared to the X I'd say a lot of people are mad about Xbox buys Activision Blizzard everybody is thinking just Call of Duty is the issue it is not just that Sony & Activision works together on different titles like Sony did buy Bungie Destiny 2 Activision is part of as well its ok if Activision Blizzard is owned by XBOX they should not take away titles of games just to make it exclusive but I can see Activision Blizzard can make new IPs exclusive to Xbox but I'd say why it's going to make money regardless of platform i would say Xbox started the Whole Cross play idea to get it more out there. Sony is better they are putting handy cap controller's and Pro and the PSVR2 and PS5 Pro well be coming and Slim and TV / Movies of Game like HBO The Last of US. Microsoft is being SUED by Gamers and FTC and Nvidia and Sony and Google and it's not just the Activision Blizzard deal constituting a market monopoly like making it harder/ difficult for users to install competing software and simultaneously making it difficult to uninstall I'd say because of windows 11 plus Microsoft lays off 10,000 workers I'd say that's bad.
1 PS5 is not faster... at all
2 XBOX has faster loading
3 XBOX has faster optimization
4 XBOX has better graphics
5 XBOX has less faulty features or mistakes
6 XBOX has never gave their prices a rise... They literally said that they will never do that unless the console became Far Far superior to the last and unlike PS they understood that it wasn't far superior enough to charge 700-900 bucks for... I'm surprised that they lowered the prices on the PS5
7 XBOX's storage works better and longer
8 If you prefer both consoles you can literally see how much better an XBOX is than a PlayStation
9 XBOX has quick resume which quickly loads up any game that's verified with it after the console has been shut off... PlayStation you still have to wait for that loading screen for GTA which doesn't even happen for XBOX anymore, that's just how fast it loads which brings us to
10 You still have to wait for a lot of games loading screens... with my xbox I haven't had to wait for a loading screen since I got it and on my PS5 I have to wait what feels like 10 minutes just for a games loading screen to be complete
11 Game Pass Has Better Deals, it's like netflix but for games...

Xbox Overthrows PlayStation by a lot with everything but these 3 things. Controller, Home Screen & Exclusive Games... Nothing Else... Mainly for the controller because they took the design of an xbox controller, made it look more alien like and put a lot of motors in it to simulate game movement, BUT if you want to get a good option go for PlayStation mainly because it has all the games based off of the movies, Xbox basically has all the same games as PS of course the exclusives

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
I am curious as to how he came to the conclusion that the PS5 has better exclusives. I have my PS5 sitting dormant since finishing up Miles Morales.
It simply just has more famous exclusives because a lot of them are based off of movies or just had ads that pushed the game onto everyones screens

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
The PS5 lost points in Design just so that Xbox could take the win. In an unbiased review, they would receive the same number of points for design, because it is up to one's preferences (I prefer PS5's design, the Xbox is a huge black block, there is no actual design to speak of, but it is perfectly fine to like it more). I also do not understand how and why they received the same number of points for controller. The DualSense is chock full of innovations (haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc.) and the author actually points this out, while Microsoft did not even bother to include an inbuilt battery, and they are still using AAA batteries like a plastic toy from the 90s. If anything, what they should be equal in is performance (PS5 has faster load times thanks to the much faster SSD, but the Xbox has slightly higher raw computing power, so none of them has a clear edge).

So an unbiased head-to-head would be something like (PS5-Xbox)

Price: 8 -8
Games: 18 - 16 (again, the Xbox does not deserve a 15, what games you enjoy is more a preference than a fact of life)
Performance: 13-13
Design: 8 - 8 (whatever you prefer, really)
Controller 9 - 7
Backwards Compatibility 7 - 9
Cloud Gaming 3 - 3
Total: 66 - 64
your acting like they didn't get the opinion from multiple people and just made a percentage base that rounded up the decimal

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
The PS5 lost points in Design just so that Xbox could take the win. In an unbiased review, they would receive the same number of points for design, because it is up to one's preferences (I prefer PS5's design, the Xbox is a huge black block, there is no actual design to speak of, but it is perfectly fine to like it more). I also do not understand how and why they received the same number of points for controller. The DualSense is chock full of innovations (haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc.) and the author actually points this out, while Microsoft did not even bother to include an inbuilt battery, and they are still using AAA batteries like a plastic toy from the 90s. If anything, what they should be equal in is performance (PS5 has faster load times thanks to the much faster SSD, but the Xbox has slightly higher raw computing power, so none of them has a clear edge).

Games: 18 - 16 (again, the Xbox does not deserve a 15, what games you enjoy is more a preference than a fact of life)
Controller 9 - 7
Cloud Gaming 3 - 3
You did pretty good for these but in my opinion as a fan of both this is what I'd say
Performance of an XBOX is far superior compared to a PS5 due to better optimization, faster loading, and better graphics. it shouldn't be tied(13 - 14 or 15)
XBOX doesn't really have a design so they got that one (8 - 6)
The Controller to the PS5 is only a little bit better... and it's strangely close to the size and shape of an xbox remote(I know because I have both PS5 & XBOX 8 - 7)
PlayStations Cloud Gaming Servers Are Garbage... Especially Compared To XBOX's(3 -6)
and XBOX kinda deserves a 15 for now because there's not that many really good exclusives(17 - 15)
which makes the fair total 64 - 65, The consoles aren't that much different from eachother which is why I scored it this way

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
PS5 vs Xbox Series X: Verdict
PS5Xbox Series X
Price (10)88
Games (20)1815
Performance (15)1312
Controller (10)77
Backwards compatibility (10)79
Cloud gaming (5)33
Total (70)5654

If you remove the Design rankings from the overall breakdown, the PS5 wins 56 to 54. The PS5's edge here is primarily due to its 3-point lead in the "games" category and its 1-point lead in the "performance" category.
even though the cloud gaming, the performance and backwards compatibility in an XBOX is better yeah

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
My PS3 and some PS4 controllers no longer hold a charge, meanwhile my XBOX 360 and XBOX One controllers still work thanks to AA batteries. Build in batteries are shortsided.
yeah, I've had plenty of battery failures in PlayStation remotes... The fact that they think im going to take apart the whole controller just to replace it is wild, it's either buy a new controller or give up at that point(13 Battery Failed Controllers... I should've gave up way before the time I did) BUT my all of my XBOX controllers still work from the original XBOX, the 360, the One, the One X and The Series X... it's more reliable to have battery packs than a built in battery, it's easier to replace.

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
I own both, I own a PS5 disc and PS5 digital edition, as well as a Series X and two Series S'. I would say that my overall experience has probably been better on the XSX for one reason, which is the cloud saves. The PS5's cloud save feature is horrible. For example, if I play Elden Ring , save and exit or if I just shutdown or leave the console on standby, the console will not automatically save my game to the cloud, even if the feature is turned on to do so automatically. Almost without fail, if I play down stairs one day, then play upstairs another day, the old save will still be on the cloud. If the game starts up and I start it, then realize it's an older game, I have to exit, go back downstairs, upload the save to the cloud, then go back upstairs to play. It really sucks. Xbox on the other hand, is flawless. As soon as I exit the game or shutdown/standby, that save is uploaded and will load onto the other console immediately.
Yeah that's another great thing about XBOX, although I haven't had that issue with my PS5 but a lot of my friends have... I only have 1 PS5 though so I can't really tell

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
Actually exclusives are in. Box for console standpoint. No exclusives due to them being on PC as well so you cannot even say there are none. Controller means nothing when it can’t stay charged like all PS controllers ever. I’d rather buy a battery pack instead of extra controllers so I can keep playing. As for performance you seriously cannot use one game to determine the whole systems ability. X clearly beats out PS on performance. Ohh and it plays movies also.
YES My Xbox series X controller has a battery pack in it that hasn't been charged in 2 Months... I play GTA on it everyday... It still is alive right now, the battery pack in it is an Insignia one and I used it for my normal Xbox One years ago, it hasn't charged since I left it in one of the controllers like 2 years ago and it was working once I got the Series X, I did charge it near the end of december and it hasn't died since, and I love the Movie Purchase feature of my Xbox, I can use it in my theater room for a movie night which comes in handy.

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
Here is a ‘weakly presented argument about the present state of play between the three ‘large’ home console players:
This is unique, most journalists miss a lot of the fundamentals, and sadly- this video doesn’t go into enough depth.
Unlike professional journos, there are no edits, no script and therefore it has ‘error’s and could hammer home a few more points (like ‘just how customised Epic made the PS5 chip to benefit Unreal Engine 5 ‘future’ capabilities)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgjf6gNBbEAImNl7BpLy45Mg7ywQGzgmn

TomsGuide was right down the middle line; this ‘playlist’ certainly is not. (but has a lot of info relevant to the actual platforms involved AND the actual gaming industry…)
Epic Themselves made it beneficial to Unreal Engine and got out benefited by Microsoft??? That's insane

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
I tend to agree with you. One crucial factor that is missing in most comparisons is monitor support. Xbox Series X natively supports 1440p while PS 5 does not. 1440p is a sweet spot for gaming monitors. This should easily give the Xbox a 3-points lead. Despite many requests, Sony has not implemented this feature even with its latest update. Also, neither console supports widescreen.
Monitor Support (10) 5-8
Total: 71 - 72
I have widescreen though

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
Your mileage may vary. Returnal and Demons souls are both amazing, Miles Morales also seems good, but Xbox does not currently have a single exclusive I'm even remotely interested in. STALKER 2 will probably be the first, and if the prices go down a bit, I might even consider getting one just to play it.
if you get GamePass the price will have a deal on it and you'll be able to play it with or without GamePass if you pay for it instead of it not letting you play after GamePass expires

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023

Controller 9 - 7
Cloud Gaming 3 - 3
PS5 does NOT have faster loading and never has, where did you get that idea and XBOX uses AA batteries not AAA and also battery packs are sold now... that are rechargeable and it's like this so if your battery fails you don't have to take apart the whole controller... unlike PS which I have 13 battery failed controllers... So yeah although the dualshock is good it's not that much better... who told you that the SSD is better? My PlayStation 5s Memory died while it was sitting on its side... I had to get an external memory drive which costed me almost half of the price of the console. Also XBOX has Instant load now... PlayStation Doesn't... And they probably wont for a long time... My Xbox Storage Is also just fine and it's not on its side, it's standing up... my PlayStation overheated like 100 times, my Xbox was left on for a full night and was still running, it was hot but not as hot as the PlayStation gets so yeah... Not Better... At All... Not The Same Either

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
I didn’t think it was horrible, but the series x is clearly now winning the performance game. While the FPS might vary game to game, the Sony tends to run lower resolutions to get to where it might get a small advantage.

As for exclusives, I would say Microsoft’s acquisitions have made this a fairly level playing field.
I think XBOX should take COD off of PS because these PlayStation fans degrade them about their exclusives being mid all the time... they own COD... so they can do what they want with whatever they own... so they should make COD an XBOX XClusive

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
logically speaking it sounds like you can get all the XBOX titles on PC so whats the point of getting an XBOX if you have a nice PC.
might as well get the PS5.
you can't get all of the XBOX titles on PC but one thing yall don't understand is that the owners of XBOX are the people who made the Operation System to your PC so automatic points to XBOX still because Microsoft Made Xbox

RagDev

Great
Feb 16, 2023
Would you say that to this day?
I played a few titles and I am sure there isn't a single game on xbox that could compete with the following games in their genre:
Gran Turismo Sport
Gran Turismo 7
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon: Forbidden West
I don't generally play FPS, cause it's really not something that can be handled with a controller.
Maybe the above games are not your type. Idk what games xbox has to offer that even allows it to be mentioned alongside PS5, and I'm really disappointed how Microsoft is letting all that power down the drain.

There are a few more hyped titles on PS5, but I didn't get the opportunity to try them.
(this is my opinion)
Ghost of Tsushima got boring really fast
Gran Turismo isn't that good without the gaming wheel and pedals
Horizon was just mid
And I'm sad that Microsoft is just letting their skills drain away too because they could do so much better than High on Life and Halo but they just choose to stick with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.