PSP2 May Offer Early PS3 Graphics, Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
hype hype hype, seriously the PS3 doesn't output 1080p games either it doesnt even reach 720p on any of its games, as the games are not coded in that resolution.

anthonyla65

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
PS3 games aren't made to run in 1080p native anyways. They're on 720p generally upscaled to 1080p. Now I'm happy the PSP2 isn't the PSP Phone. I didn't like the idea combining a hardcore gaming device and a phone. This should be promising. Much better than the 3DS I hope. Hopefully I should be getting both the PSP Phone and PSP2 to try,

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Looks promising, i kind of expected portable consoles to reach a time in their development where they would gain close to half the performance of today's consoles.

It happens, i mean the first PSP was more powerful than most consoles before it, the same thing is likely to happen in the future. The only problem is that heat dissipation has started to make life a little harder on handheld gadgets.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]requiemsallure[/nom]hype hype hype, seriously the PS3 doesn't output 1080p games either it doesnt even reach 720p on any of its games, as the games are not coded in that resolution.[/citation]

Eh i'm not so sure i agree with you on saying that the ps3 doesnt even reach 720p on any of its games, because it's simply not true.

As for the PSP2, this looks promising, if it can produce games that look better than games on PS2 then I would enjoy this very much, as I still get enjoyment from some games on the PS2. I wouldnt go to far as to expect PS3 level graphics though.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
So much PS3 hate.. lolz.

I do think saying that the PSP2 will reach PS3 graphics is total hype and no substance, however.

I can't wait to hear about the launch line-up of the PSP2... it'll have a lot to compete with the 3DS. No backwards compatibility on the PSP2 makes me sad though..

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
How the hell would they fit a Cell in there and a powerful GPU... Maybe there was a good reason why the early dev kits were reportedly overheating... Or this is all hype like the PS3 at launch: "Oooo best graphics and performance".... I don't think so.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
oh man ~ cant wait >_<
i still in love with my psp and my mhp3 LOL

hopefully psp2 will be compatible with all psp1 games, that will be freaking awesome ~
go go go sony

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't be surpisedif the GPU was as fast, or even a little faster than the RSX in the PS3 simply because the RSX is based on the ol 7800 series and GPUs have come a long way since then. When you consider the specs, 550MHz 24 ALUs 8 Vertex 24 TMUs 8 ROPs, 256 MB RAM they seem puny compared even to modern low end GPUs like the 5570 or a GT 430.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer'

As for the CPU, I'd expect something more like half the Cell CPU with enhancements to make it more programmer friendly. That way a developer could get almost as much or more out of it as they would the more complex and less programmer friendly version in the PS3 in the same amount of time. I suppose we shall see though.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Im starting to get more excited about this. Bet it will cost a bomb tho but it could be worth it. Still skeptical tho about battery and where they will cut corners to reduce cost.

m3kw9

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I'm hoping next gen handhelds have iPhone retina type screens, that'd make games look next gen if you have enough power to push enough polygons for that resolution.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
In order for that to work both the cpu and gpu must have the same micro code as the ps3 if titles were to be easily compatible with both systems unless they (game developers) were to actually use something that has been around for decades called modular kernel and programming models that allowed for fast and easy porting between both systems. If they did console ports to Windows and OSX systems would perform greatly better than they do now. To add to additional criticism, 8th core is disabled across all models of the ps3. To little ram despite improvements to the os but 256mb isn't much for developers to work with. The RSX should have used a G71 core instead as it was much smaller and cheaper to produce while being faster in performance. The vram was ok then but now it isn't special but just make building emulators that more difficult due to unique coding added to each game.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]requiemsallure[/nom]hype hype hype, seriously the PS3 doesn't output 1080p games either it doesnt even reach 720p on any of its games, as the games are not coded in that resolution.[/citation]
That is absolute rubbish. There is a massive list of NATIVE 720 & 1080p PS3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.