PSP2 Will Have Bigger HD Screen, More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hopefully they have learned from the mistakes they made on the PSP1. From the sound of it, based on the rumors, they seem to have. Guess we'll have to wait and find out!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The mistakes of PSP1? I hope they learned from the mistakes of PSPGo. The modability of the PSP1 allowed you to make it more then just a game system which made it an excellent portable device. You could watch cable on the thing.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If Apple made an iPod Touch Gaming Edition, with like built in joysticks and tacht buttons and triggers, I'd hop all over that thing like a kangaroo on crack. But since they seem to enjoy their little touch screens, I've kind of ruled that out.

But if Sony could put the power of an iPod Touch + Buttons + Joysticks, you have the world's best mobile platform.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]The mistakes of PSP1? I hope they learned from the mistakes of PSPGo. The modability of the PSP1 allowed you to make it more then just a game system which made it an excellent portable device. You could watch cable on the thing.[/citation]
Custom firmware made the PSP 1000 special, and the complete lack of a UMD drive and smaller size is what I actually like about the PSPgo.
I want custom firmware on a PSPgo N2000.
More than anything, I WANT DUAL ANALOG STICKS! The Armored Core series on the PSP alone would be enough reason for me to buy another PSP.
They also better not skimp out on the RAM this time. 16MB, really? Soon enough we'll have phones with 1GB.

Am I the only one who hates the UMD drive and likes a small size?

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I Like the PSP's UMD Drive, because I can buy a game from any country and just play it, instead of being trapped to the online store.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
yeah, it's a really good idea to give nintendo the head start. there will be absolutely no repercussions, none what so ever.

sony needs to step their game up. they better start working on a revision as soon as they get this thing out tthe door

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
You know what will really help this succeed. Competitively priced games that you can download over WiFI at a whim. I've lost track of the number of the

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'm hoping that a Cell-type CPU isn't in the works for the PSP2... Since the thing wasn't designed to run at low clock speeds, nor at low power consumption.

Even assuming we cut the SPEs to 4, and migrate to a 32nm fabrication process, we're still looking at probably 20+ watts. Reducing the clock speed would obviously cut it further, but there's only so much you can cut it by before it becomes pointless. Contrast this to the sub-5 watt range ARM or mobile MIPS CPUs run at, and perhaps you can see the problem.

Personally, I'm hoping it uses a more conventional CPU, and then includes some GPGPU functionality on the GPU; that way it can use the GPU for handling HD video, so you won't have silicon going to waste (and still wasting even just a little battery power) while playing games; it's a broadly-known fact that most of the Cell sits idle on the PS3 while gaming. So having the same power draw that isn't being used on a mobile device makes no sense.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Touchpad on the back makes sense... if done right. Point with your finger without smudging the screen or getting in the way of your target with your big hair human hands.

We'll see soon enough... before Christmas?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I hope they ditch UMDs. Make all new games available as download, or on memory cards in store that you can then copy to internal memory. you could link them to your PSN account to avoid piracy, and this would also help cut down on trade-ins (since if you decide to copy to internal memory, the card is useless)

other than that, i just want the obvious. dual analogue, decent video hardware and a touch screen would be nice. And a genuine app marketplace like Apple or android. Minis were a start, but if they hope to compete with apple they need to be less restrictive.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]The mistakes of PSP1? I hope they learned from the mistakes of PSPGo. The modability of the PSP1 allowed you to make it more then just a game system which made it an excellent portable device. You could watch cable on the thing.[/citation]
I think my statement stands, seeing as the mistake known as the PSPgo is technically a PSP1. And I consider the lack of a second analog stick a rather serious mistake on their part as well. Lets just hope they get it all right this time around.

th3nerve

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
How did the PSP lose out to the DS?...........because of the touch screen input.
What did the DS not have enough of and still beat the PSP?.......processing power.
Clearly up to now Sony doesn't get it.
It's features not power that sells.
And here they are again touting about more power.
With the Nintendo 3DS featuring a 3D screen would you rather get more power and no 3D screen? I don't think so.
PS. I only speak for myself

asdf634

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]th3nerve[/nom]How did the PSP lose out to the DS?...........because of the touch screen input.What did the DS not have enough of and still beat the PSP?.......processing power.Clearly up to now Sony doesn't get it.It's features not power that sells. And here they are again touting about more power.With the Nintendo 3DS featuring a 3D screen would you rather get more power and no 3D screen? I don't think so.PS. I only speak for myself[/citation]

I agree, I rather have something different for portable gaming than what's basically a console on the go when I can better enjoy the games on my couch with my huge ass HDTV.

...ok maybe my TV is not that huge, but it's bigger than whatever the PSP2's screen will be that's for sure. And that's not forget battery life. I wonder how long will it last.

ivanlucrazy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I think it would take some time to get used to touchpad on the back. Kinda like inverted controls took a little bit of learning. Not really a problem, I just can't really picture how it would feel right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS