Psystar Files Anti-trust Suit Against Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It was only a matter of time before anti-trust lawsuits started coming up... as Apple gets more popular more ridiculous lawsuits will come up.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Last time I check Linux was an open source Operating System, and the Leapord OS is based on it. So there is grounds for it depending on if they borrowed un-open source programs.

G

It's not a ridiculous lawsuit. It actually needs a legal debate. Pystar is using precedent “A purchaser of a copy of a copyrighted computer program may still sell his copy to another without the consent of the copyright holder.”. However, Apple has a EULA that only allows MacOS on apple branded computers. Does Apple have the right to enforce such a EULA? That is up for debate. Microsoft tried tying Internet Explorer to Windows. This can be construed as a similar tie-in and as such an anti-trust matter.

G

"Last time I check Linux was an open source Operating System, and the Leapord OS is based on it. So there is grounds for it depending on if they borrowed un-open source programs."

Leopard is not based on Linux. Why don't you go google a bit before posting.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
The problem is that currently no one "owns" the software they buy, they license it. It is the reason they can place restrictions on it's use that Honda couldn't put on it's cars. I would like to see that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.