QLED vs OLED TV: Who Wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimyJo

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
I love 3D, not for the poke your eye out effect but more like a nice layered depth and of focus, every opportunity I get for the films I collect I will buy a 3d bluray disc. I have yet to see a set from any manufacturer that has an active 3d capable OLED screen. That is why I am not upgrading my set until these are available.
The market seems obsessed with HDR at the moment, but it leaves me a little cold to be honest, and doesn't personally make THAT much difference to my viewing pleasure, not like a good 3d film does.
Currently have just a 1080p Full HD 3D capable Panasonic, like the idea of an OLED as the picture is usually beautiful, but I'm not going to throw my enjoyment of 3D away or buy another set just for OLED.

t.ausmus74

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
SIMYJO unfortunately 3D is dead. Samsung was the last company putting out 3D displays, and they have decided to stop producing them.

xenon1978

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

I'm not sure why you'd want active 3D. The passive 3D on last year's LG OLEDs (E or C models) is fantastic.

danran1271

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Actually Sony and LG were the last to put out 3d tv's. Not Samsung, they gave up earlier. The Sony Z series tv is the last tv to still have 3D that is currently available and can come pretty close to OLED and is way better than any QLED tv. Samsung's tv line-up this year is disappointing. Nothing innovative and nothing that looks that great.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
really f***ing annoying to try to read an article at work and have your commercials start blasting out sound when I'm in my cubicle surround by people trying to work and talk on the phones.

martinschwabe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought this was a comparison between OLED and QLED, why, pray tell are the latter pictures comparison pictures between conventional TV's (are we talking tube or LED) and QLED, with no info concerning OLED? Lame!

bwallx

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Ever since I worked in broadcast television in the old 625 line days I've had a thing about blacklevels. Back then TV sets were terrible for lifting blacks to a grey if the scene had bright contrast. Today, I'm worried by reports that OLED's compress black levels.

I consider a good separation of near blacks to be essential to my viewing experience, but no one seems to have produced a sample greyscale photo comparison between current OLEDs and LCDs.

Am I right to be concerned?

rpimaging

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
I agree with BWALLX. Thanks for raising this issue. From viewing Oleds in store, I thought they were quite heavy handed with their blacks. Dark gradations and details were missing when comparing the picture to non Oleds. As a photograpger/videographer, gradations are very important to me. This article confirms my concerns. While Oleds have a lot going for them, the lack of greyscale integrity is a real issue for me. My initial impressions were that their blacks were a cheap trick and this does appear to be the case. There are rarely any pure blacks in real life. This technology needs to mature a great deal before I'm interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.