Quad-Core Laptops

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
With AMD launching Quad-Core Desktops next year. Quad-Core Laptops should be right behind them. AMD is going from 65nm to 45nm in 1.5 years. Thats 2008.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Press releases like this are so transparent. Shows that AMD must be worried about the Mermaid. Or maybe it is just a coincidence that it comes the day after Intel announces they are 2 months ahead of schedule on their new chip.

Instead of what they're "gonna do", I wish we could get the dual core Turion CPU's & systems out. Who the heck thought a launch of a mobile CPU w/o system to support it was a good idea. I don't know.

I would also like to know what took AMD 6 months to answer Intels dual core mobile chip? Are they that far behind R&D & implementation-wise?

AMD doesn't seem like they have a real major rearchitecture and technological advancement coming in the near future, I know they are ahead, but are we just sitting on that, or do they have tricks up their sleeve yet un-announced?

I certainly hope they have a super move they are powering up right now, because this is the article I just read:
Conroe may rein on AMD's parade...
(I changed the headline so it was actually cool.)

BOSS, did you see this:
Samsung has unveiled a prototype laptop at CeBIT which uses 32GB Flash memory for storage instead of a typical hard drive. Benefits of Solid-State-Disks (SSD) include faster data access, durability, and completley silent operation. One potential negative, the memory alone costs $960.

“The prototype laptop that Samsung showed off was able to boot (the operating system was not mentioned) in 18 seconds versus 31 seconds for the laptop with a regular hard disk drive.”

We had a thread about that like a month and a half ago with a 18 GB flash disk from SuperTalent and they have already doubled in size. Now if they can shrink the price by half a couple times then we're in business!

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
This is what I was affraid of: AMD counters AMD counters Intel with dual socket gaming system.
As expected, AMD has been working on an answer - (which is putting 2 dual core processors on a single motherboard, as if dual processors was a "new idea") and while the company does not have a new architecture, the manufacturer scales the current Athlon64 platform until the arrival of 65 nm production generation in Q4 2006 or Q1 2007. At least on the high end, the company believes that it will retain the performance crown with a system the company calls "4x4."
So, basically AMD, there is nothing in the pipeline then. I mean, if we're going to just ADD MORE processors to combat Intel, that's kind of silly. You didn't "retain the performance" crown by pitting 2 processors against 1 that's idiotic.
It is unclear how capable AMD's 4x4 will be especially in the gaming segment, as increased threading still represents a challenge for many software developers. However, 4x4 is likely to have an immediate impact on computing performance as it will feature two independent DDR2 memory controllers, which, at least in theory, will double the memory bandwidth of the system.
Which is cool but...
Intel Core 2 Extreme
Sources told TG Daily that Core 2 Extreme is capable of breaking the 4 GHz barrier, while it is unclear, if off-the-shelf dual-core Core 2 processors (Conroe core) will ever reach that level as the quad-core desktop processor "Kentsfield" is on track to debut in Q1 2007. Intel today confirmed that Core 2 Extreme will launch with 2.93 GHz/FSB1066 next month and will be available with 3.2 GHz by the end of the year. At a presentation today in Santa Clara, Calif., the firm also demonstrated an overclocked version 3.5 GHz that, according to Intel, offers "impressive performance."
If Intel has a quad core single processor solution in 1Q 2007 that in its dual core form takes (2) dual core X2's to combat what is AMD going to do them? Have 4 X2's on one board? So I'll have $3,000 laid out in CPU's?

Unfortunately this looks like the end of the line for AMD's dominance of the PC market and as it should be if they were sitting back smoking cigars with their feet on the table instead of designing new technology this whole time.

Hey, AMD, this is your wake up call... get your donkey back to the drawing board and quit horsing around or get eliminated from the game.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
BOSS, you know what the problem is for AMD right now and going forward?

Me, you, Mech, and everyone like us. AMD is driven by the gamers but right now this AM2 platform, I just don't see the draw. I mean, I have a 4400+ X2, 4 Gig's of OCZ Platinum memory, 2 x 36 GB Raptors RAID0 for OS & Programs, what am I going to gain from spending $1,500 on a new CPU, Motherboard, memory etc?

Would it be simply the comfort of knowing that I my memory has more bandwidth? The freaking bandwidth is fine right now, it isn't even overclocked! I was running this hog overclocked 18% with no problems at all. That's 5 Ghz of processing power and I you just don't need it. I can get more performance by adding another RAID0 drive and increasing my array to 3 drives, or going with a flash ram drive for the OS.

The system, under Windows XP can't even utilize all the memory properly now anyway. If I were AMD I would have just skipped this step and been working on improvements to release something truely great.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Ok, AMD, if you don't have any real performance gains, and if it is questionable whether people actually will move to this new platform right away... why not do something crazy and move to DDR3 running at 1.5 volt (as compared to 1.8 for DDR2 and 2.5 for DDR) or DDR4 memory?
Stuff's been out since 8/05! Why not at least make it look like you're cutting edge?
Somebody at AMD forgot to read their Sun Tzu

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
That's one reason I have not upgraded my main rig. I'm not to far behind with a 2.4C. OCed to 3.0. I can had more ram. But 1 gig has been working fine for the past 3 years. The only thing I need better is a vid card.