Quake Classic Confirmed for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
How am I supposed to play an FPS with that touch screen, especially one as fast paced as Quake. Also, I liked this ↓↓

"Quake... my favorite game of all time! -kp"

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Coonday I too was wondering this, I mean FPS on the DS kind of sort of works.... but thats combined with some buttons and a Dpad.

I know the iphone or ipod touch has better graphics then the DS but the controls :( (for some games its fine though and works well)

I hate to admit it since the DS has such crappy graphics (its showing its age badly) but its probably the best portable games machine out right now.... (PSP would be great too if it had more games it has some great ones but it just needs more)

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Torch me, but I hated Quake. It was a revolution, it's a classic, yes.

But I don't, and never did like the gameplay.

*shrug*

Don't have an iPhone either.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Coonday I too was wondering this, I mean FPS on the DS kind of sort of works.... but thats combined with some buttons and a Dpad. I know the iphone or ipod touch has better graphics then the DS but the controls (for some games its fine though and works well) I hate to admit it since the DS has such crappy graphics (its showing its age badly) but its probably the best portable games machine out right now.... (PSP would be great too if it had more games it has some great ones but it just needs more)[/citation]

Graphics are not what make a handheld console good, it's functionality. That's why so many handhelds failed in the past (too big, low battery life, etc.) I don't see how everyone can consider the iphone as the next big thing in gaming. There's no buttons, just an app store. I personally can't play a game longer than 5 minutes on that thing. So basically, yes, the DS is the best handheld out now. And sorry for the long post, I'm kind of in a typing mood.

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I'll wait until it comes out for the android OS. Plus, the iFail will probably just blow up while people are playing the game.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I bought wolf 3D for my ipod touch 2G when Id first release it. The graphics are great. But the ipod touch/iphone are BAD platforms for FPS gaming. I played a few levels just for nostalgia and gave up on it. The touch screen just doesn't work with a FPS game and it soon became frustrating.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Eh..
It won't be the same without a mouse and keyboard.
Will you be able to install the original team fortress mod!!??
For those of you that didn't know the 1st and original team fortress was a mod for quake.

Then I believe Seirra purchased it and made it for Half-Life.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Yet another statement of the viability of the iPhone and it's overwhelmingly successful app store. Who do you believe a distinguished and recognized icon of gaming development John Carmack or a few under skilled expert help desk jockeys with sour grapes that have the time to post on gamer forums?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]distinguished and recognized icon of gaming development John Carmack[/citation]You FPS players need to get a clue and realize he revolutionized FPS's 20 years ago and has done nothing but rehash the same game with a new graphics engine just to advertise iD's new engine.

Sardaukarz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Quake greatest FPS of all time...

I cry because I remember how many nights i spend ctf-ing on this thing.

Unfortunately I don't have an IPhone

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
At no point in time would I have even come close to considering Quake, '[The] greatest FPS of all time'.

Quake did 3 things to an appreciable degree: It established the dedicated server-client model that's still in use today in multiplayer games, several popular multiplayer gaming modes (CTF, Team Fortress, etc.) and the preponderance of gaming Clans or team tournaments for MP gaming.

As a standalone game it was a non-event. You could really only remark on the soundtrack by Trent Reznor. Quake 2 was better, but still not 'great'. And Quake 3 did what Quake did best from the getgo: fast and furious multiplayer gaming.

notanakin

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I like FPS games, but I feel they work best on a PC. I've tried various FPS sampler games on the iPhone and they just don't work well. The screen is too small and aiming or doing anything else with your finger inevitably means that you're covering a big chunk of the screen with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.